History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Methodist Chapel, Hall, Railings and Gatepiers Fronting Road

A Grade II Listed Building in West Putford, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9191 / 50°55'8"N

Longitude: -4.3324 / 4°19'56"W

OS Eastings: 236153

OS Northings: 115884

OS Grid: SS361158

Mapcode National: GBR KC.QG8V

Mapcode Global: FRA 16TP.209

Entry Name: Methodist Chapel, Hall, Railings and Gatepiers Fronting Road

Listing Date: 18 December 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326624

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91973

Location: West Putford, Torridge, Devon, EX22

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: West Putford

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Putford St Stephen

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
West Putford

Listing Text

SS 31 NE WEST PUTFORD CP VILLAGE CENTRE

3/66 Methodist Chapel, Hall,
railings and gatepiers
fronting road

II

Methodist chapel dated 1849; hall, and gatepiers added 1906, railings late C20.
Chapel: random rubble, roughcast on facade, slate roof, plain bargeboards.
Hall: coursed rubble, slate roof, decorative ridge tiles and bargeboards, brick
stack gable, corrugated iron roofed lean-to on west gable end. L-plan: chapel
lying east-west, hall in south-west corner, single storey porch in angle facing
south onto road, railings returned from south-west corner of hall enclosing
forecourt; site slopes away to west. Chapel: 2 full-height round-headed 6-pane
windows with marginal glazing bars, lower part of right hand window blocked
by flat-roofed single storey porch with segmental-headed double doors, hall
wing with 4 x 5 sash window. West gable end of chapel with round headed 16-pane
windows lighting gallery, round-headed date stone between inscribed Providence
Chapel 1849; single storey lean-to below with fixed light 3 x 5 pane window.
North side lit with similar windows as on south face, pivoted heads. Interior
of chapel rendered, painted inscription at east end 'Glory to God in the Highest',
ceiling rose. West end gallery, panelled with pilasters carried on cast iron
piers, panelled dado, benches and late C19 reading desk. Hall featureless;
the lean-to contains a kitchen. Gatepiers, square, cream brick and rubble with
shallow pyramid caps, railings wrought iron with spearhead tops set in random
rubble wall with bitumenised humpback coping.


Listing NGR: SS3615315884

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.