History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Methodist Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Holsworthy Hamlets, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8145 / 50°48'52"N

Longitude: -4.312 / 4°18'43"W

OS Eastings: 237221

OS Northings: 104209

OS Grid: SS372042

Mapcode National: GBR KD.Y1G8

Mapcode Global: FRA 16VY.9XX

Entry Name: Methodist Chapel

Listing Date: 18 December 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326659

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91948

Location: Holsworthy Hamlets, Torridge, Devon, EX22

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Holsworthy Hamlets

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Holsworthy St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Hollacombe

Listing Text

SS30SE HOLSWORTHY HAMLETS CP ANVIL CORNER

14/43 Methodist Chapel

II

Bible Christian chapel with schoolroom attached. 1854, probably altered late C19 when
schoolroom ceiled. Roughcast over rubble, slate roofs, roof over schoolroom slightly
higher than that of chapel, decorative barge board to chapel. Plan: 2 bay chapel entered
from east gable end, shorter two bay schoolroom entered by external stair west gable
end with vestry below. East gable end unlit, semicircular headed porch carried on shaped
brackets, fanlight above plank door with decorative hinges. Left return (south) fronting
road, 2 semicircular headed 12-pane windows with pivoted lower sections to chapel, 2
similar but taller windows to west end of 18-panes, door cutting into central window
has destroyed the lower 6 panes. West gable end external stair of squared and coursed
rubble, stone steps with nosing, wrought iron handrail, plank door. Interior of chapel:
simple, original fittings, semicircular arch carried on brackets west gable end, typical
of Bible Christian chapels. Baptisms were recorded here in 1857. (Leeson Day,
Holsworthy, The Devonshire Association Parochial Histories, 1934)


Listing NGR: SS3722104209

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.