History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Kentigern

A Grade II* Listed Building in Castle Sowerby, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7165 / 54°42'59"N

Longitude: -2.964 / 2°57'50"W

OS Eastings: 337999

OS Northings: 536145

OS Grid: NY379361

Mapcode National: GBR 7FRX.31

Mapcode Global: WH80V.FQT4

Entry Name: Church of St Kentigern

Listing Date: 27 December 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326686

English Heritage Legacy ID: 73726

Location: Castle Sowerby, Eden, Cumbria, CA11

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Castle Sowerby

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Castle Sowerby St Kentigern

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Hesket Newmarket

Listing Text

NY 33NE CASTLE SOWERBY

8/4
Church of
27.12.67 St Kentigern

8/4

II*


Parish church. C12 with C13, C14, C15 and C17 alterations and additions; with
restorations of 1821, and 1888 by C.J. Ferguson. Whitewashed rubble walls with
west buttresses, under graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross
finial. 5-bay nave and south aisle with south porch and twin open bellcote.
2-bay chancel. North wall of nave has C17 2- and 3-light hollow-chamfered
stone-mullioned windows, one without chamfers and one original pointed-arched
window between the two eastern windows. Aisle has re-used round-arched doorway
within a C14 stone porch. C17 2-light hollow-chamfered windows under moulded
parapet. East wall of aisle has blocked pointed-arched window. Chancel has
north lancet windows; south C15 or C16 priest's doorway and larger
pointed-arched windows. C19 east window is flanked by blocked lancets.
Interior of nave has 5-bay aisle of pointed arches on octagonal columns. C18 or
C19 open timber roof. C18 creed and pater boards were probably put up at same
time as Royal Arms of George II dated 1752. White marble wall plaques to
Richard Richardson of Whamhead, 1796; Jane Mitchell of Whamhead, 1868 and George
Burnthwaite of Lamonby, 1780. Re-cut red sandstone font bowl dated 1671(?) on
C19 stem. Aisle has 2 aumbry recesses. Chancel: remains of south respond for
removed chancel arch. C13 piscina. Open timber C16 or C17 roof of king-post
trusses. White marble wall plaque to Rev Joseph Hudson, 1811, by Kirkbride of
Carlisle. C19 stained glass east window. See Transactions Cumberland &
Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, lxxiii,
pp,170-189.


Listing NGR: NY3799936145

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.