This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.6346 / 54°38'4"N
Longitude: -2.8695 / 2°52'10"W
OS Eastings: 343972
OS Northings: 526953
OS Grid: NY439269
Mapcode National: GBR 8GDV.KD
Mapcode Global: WH818.WRRX
Entry Name: Hutton John and Barn Adjoining
Listing Date: 19 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326724
English Heritage Legacy ID: 73931
Location: Hutton, Eden, Cumbria, CA11
Civil Parish: Hutton
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Greystoke
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 42 NW HUTTON HUTTON
15/202 Hutton John and barn
Fortified tower and wings with barn adjoining. Late C14 tower for the Hutton
family with C16 and C17 additions; 1660, 1730, 1835 and 1867 alterations for the
Hudleston family, the later alterations by George Ledwell Taylor. Tower has
extremely thick walls of large blocks of dressed pink and calciferous sandstone,
with string course under battlemented parapet and projecting spouts, on
chamfered plinth; flat lead roof. Wings of mixed pink and calciferous sandstone
rubble with string courses and flush quoins, under graduated greenslate roofs
with coped gables and kneelers; banded red sandstone ashlar chimney stacks.
Barn of similar rubble, under graduated greenslate roof. Rectangular tower of
2 storeys over vaulted basement with right 3-storey, 5-bay wing; the rear wing
was 2 storeys, 4 bays, but altered to 3 storeys, 5 bays in C19; adjoining barn
completes 3rd side of courtyard and possibly incorporates part of the C16
curtain wall. Tower has a number of medieval loops, some now internal, a
blocked 2-light window and upper-floor sash windows with glazing bars in C18
stone surrounds. Projecting full-height signal turret, which probably had a
beacon on top. Right wing has large off-centre 3-storey gabled porch/stair,
with side Tudor-arched doorway, blocked 2-light windows under hoodmoulds, small
heart-shaped windows and front C19 mullioned stair window. Facade has mixed
fenestration on 3 levels of 3-light stone-mullioned windows, large
mullioned-and-transomed windows and sash windows in stone surrounds. Right
return wall has small heart-shaped windows and mullioned-and-transomed windows
under gable inscription HOC SIGNO VINCES with cross and 1660 date. Rear 1867
entrance-hall extension and large C17 mullioned-and-transomed windows. The rear
wing has C17 cross-mullioned and 3-light windows, others in C19 replica, those
on ground-floor under hoodmoulds and under continuous hoods above. Rear has
right blocked oval stair windows and C17 3-light stone-mullioned windows, those
in the C18 right extension and on 2nd floor moved from their original position
on the front. The barn is partly domestic with right plank door and sash
windows with glazing bars in C18 stone surrounds, and left large cart entrance,
loft doorway and irregular easement windows. Rear wall of barn is supposed to
be the curtain wall, now with small C17 chamfered-surround windows, one 2-light
window, all under small C19 grilled vents. Small wood gabled bellcote on roof.
Interior of tower has original doorways, newel staircase and mural chambers.
Upper rooms are C18. The right wing has extensive 1867 alterations with some
panelled woodwork, staircases and heraldic plaster ceilings, all by G.L. Taylor,
a relative of the family. One room with C18 replica plaster ceiling and
woodwork by Gillow of Lancaster, 1872. Rear wing has C17 panelling and beamed
ceilings. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian &
Archaeological Society, new series, xxiv, pp.161-179.
Listing NGR: NY4397226953
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings