This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.4339 / 54°26'2"N
Longitude: -2.5934 / 2°35'36"W
OS Eastings: 361604
OS Northings: 504438
OS Grid: NY616044
Mapcode National: GBR BKB5.BB
Mapcode Global: WH93J.4T98
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 24 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326774
English Heritage Legacy ID: 74202
Location: Tebay, Eden, Cumbria, CA10
Civil Parish: Tebay
Built-Up Area: Tebay
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Orton with Tebay All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 60 SW,
Church of St James
Parish Church. Completed 1880, architect C. J. Ferguson. Rock-faced snecked
granite blocks; dressed-stone details. Graduated slate roofs. Built on
sloping site: Single-storey aisle-less nave and chancel; north porch and
apsidal western baptistry are 2-storey, with 3-stage bell-turret between.
5 bays overall. Chamfered plinth, with stepped buttresses, to nave and chancel; battered lower storey to baptistry and turret. Plank porch door in
pointed surround; 2 tripartite windows, with ogee heads, to left. Triple
lancet to chancel, 3-light east window. 3 windows to each floor of baptistry.
Shouldered heads to belfry openings and store door (below porch).
Polychrome brick with wide, pointed chancel arch; meeting room below baptistry
is circular in plan with central column. 1930 polygonal granite pulpit;
tapered, cylindrical granite font in baptistry. Good early C20 stained glass
by T Curtis of Ward & Hughes (London), including First World War commemorative window on south side, and Abbott & Co (Lancaster).
Listing NGR: NY6160404438
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings