This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.6628 / 54°39'46"N
Longitude: -2.6846 / 2°41'4"W
OS Eastings: 355936
OS Northings: 529963
OS Grid: NY559299
Mapcode National: GBR 9GPJ.L9
Mapcode Global: WH81C.Q2T7
Plus Code: 9C6VM878+45
Entry Name: Church of St Ninian
Listing Date: 3 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326778
English Heritage Legacy ID: 74217
Location: Brougham, Eden, Cumbria, CA10
Civil Parish: Brougham
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Clifton St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/09/2014
NY 52 NE
Church of St Ninian
Redundant parish church. 1660, on medieval site, for Lady Anne Clifford, porch
dated 1841. Red sandstone rubble walls with regularly-spaced buttresses, porch
of reeded red sandstone ashlar; graduated greenslate roof with C19 west
bellcote. 4-bay nave with single-bay chancel, under common roof. Porch has
Tudor-arched doorway with date panel above. Nave and chancel have small
round-arched windows in hollow double-chamfered surrounds under hoodmoulds.
Chancel has south round-arched priest's doorway under hoodmould. Windows in
east and west walls are similar but slightly taller than those in north and
south walls. Porch covers flattened segmental-headed C17 doorway. Interior has
much of its original 1660s woodwork; 9-bay roof with collar-beam trusses having
curved braces and short kingposts above the collar beams. Original box pews,
some on north side to their original height (with restoration) having turned
balusters. Chancel screen with turned balusters, but central doors missing.
7-sided pulpit with sounding board. Pedestal font on C20 base is dated 1662.
3 hatchments of arms. Poor box beside door is inscribed and dated 1663.
Chancel has plaster wreath enclosing initials AP (Anne Pembroke) 1660. Priest's
door screen is made up of carved C17 panels. C17 heavy turned-baluster altar
rail. Creed and Pater boards on east wall. Various C18 and C19 wall plaques to
the Brougham family, one set into floor. Reset floor slab to Cuthbert Bradley,
incumbent, 1624. 3 further slate slabs with brass figures and coats-of-arms are
C19, recording earlier members of the Brougham family. Church now maintained by
The Churches Conservation Trust. See RCHM, Westmorland, 1936, pp.54-6.
Listing NGR: NY5593829963
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings