This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.7736 / 54°46'25"N
Longitude: -2.6269 / 2°37'36"W
OS Eastings: 359766
OS Northings: 542258
OS Grid: NY597422
Mapcode National: GBR BF37.2K
Mapcode Global: WH91Y.M88T
Entry Name: Huddlesceugh Hall and Adjoining Barn
Listing Date: 27 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327023
English Heritage Legacy ID: 73509
Location: Kirkoswald, Eden, Cumbria, CA10
Civil Parish: Kirkoswald
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Kirkoswald St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 59780 42270 KIRKOSWALD
NY 54 SE
7/83 Huddlesceugh Hall and
27.12.67 adjoining barn
Farmhouse and adjoining barn. Early or mid C16, with extension dated 1617 over
entrance and initials I.(&)H.N. and W.D., incorporating former external door
dated 1601 and initials W.(&)H.D. Limewashed rendered walls, C20 breeze blocks
to left end wall; slate roof, stone chimney stacks. 2 storeys, numerous bays.
Building of 3 dates; left is early or mid C16, partly incorporated in later
barn; extended in 1617 under common roof; late C18 rear extension replaces early
C17 house, whose front wall masonry was incorporated in the 1617 house.
Original house left has walls slightly raised in height. Ground floor entrance
is probably original, with Tudor arched doorway above. Lower projecting
right-angled extension to front, now forms part of the internal wall of the
adjoining barn, with blocked stone mullioned windows. Part of the front wall,
internal fireplace and chimney breast, along with the gable wall, collapsed in
1982 and were rebuilt in C20 materials retaining a ground floor stone mullioned
window; rear wall has similar window. Extension of 4 bays has dated lintel
stone with carved decorations of stags heads and stars, hood mould has decorated
label stops; C20 glazed porch covers this entrance and window to right. One and
2-light chamfered stone mullioned windows, with continuous hood moulds, have C20
casements. Late C18 projecting dairy/wash-house to extreme right. Barn to left
is of red sandstone coursed rubble. 3 round arches to ground floor, have impost
blocks and keystones. 4 square openings above have plain stone surrounds.
Listing does not include the other farm buildings.
Listing NGR: NY5976642258
Other nearby listed buildings