This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.7629 / 54°45'46"N
Longitude: -2.6938 / 2°41'37"W
OS Eastings: 355456
OS Northings: 541109
OS Grid: NY554411
Mapcode National: GBR 9FMC.LD
Mapcode Global: WH80S.LKG0
Plus Code: 9C6VQ874+5F
Entry Name: The College
Listing Date: 27 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327056
English Heritage Legacy ID: 73482
Location: Kirkoswald, Eden, Cumbria, CA10
Civil Parish: Kirkoswald
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Kirkoswald St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 55470 41120 KIRKOSWALD KIRKOSWALD
NY 55 41
12/56 The College
House, formerly College of Vicars. Late C15 tower house, extended 1523 for
Thomas Lord Dacre (his coat of arms over a now internal door and repositioned
panel of arms over fireplace in hall), alterations of c1633-1641 for Sir Timothy
Fetherstonhaugh, further additions dated 1696 with initials T.F.(&)B.F. (Timothy
& Bridget Fetherstonhaugh) over entrance and additions of 1838-1843 by Timothy
Fetherstonhaugh. Dressed and rubble red sandstone walls, (1696 walls partly of
stone from Kirkoswald Castle), with ashlar quoins to facade; graduated hipped
sandstone slate roof; ashlar ridge chimney stacks to front, with C19 candlestick
chimney stacks to rear. 2 storeys, 9 bays to principal facade. Front has
recessed central 5 bays, with projecting flanking bays. Double 6-panel doors in
moulded architrave, console bracketed cornice, swan-neck pediment with
inscription and Fetherstonhaugh coat of arms. Replacement sash windows with
glazing bars in moulded stone architraves; ground floor windows with moulded
cornices and upper floor central bays with pulvinated friezes. Principal
feature of rear is C15 tower house, centre right, of originally 4 storeys;
canted bay windows 3 storeys high have replacement sash windows with glazing
bars. Tower of similar proportions (but thinner walls) to left centre is
probably C16, 3½ storeys; ground floor 2-light mullioned window, high
round-headed attic opening, all other windows are sashes with glazing bars.
Extension to right of 1½ storeys, 3 bays is dated MDCCCXLII; mullioned casement
windows with hood moulds to ground floor; gabled dormer windows (below eaves).
C19 extension to left of 3 bays, was originally single storey increased to 2
storeys in mid or late C19; sash windows with glazing bars and hood moulds.
Interior has mid C17 wooden panelled room, with other mid C17 woodwork. 1696
staircase, large newel staircase in tower. 1696 wood and plaster ceiling in
hall with heraldic devices. Originally the Vicarage for Kirkoswald Church and
converted to College of Vicars c1523; lands reverted to Crown in 1548 and let to
various tenants until purchased by Henry Fetherstonhaugh in 1590; remained in
the same family ever since. See, Country Life, 17 November 1928, p700-707;
Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian Archaeological Society, new
series, xiv, p196-234.
Listing NGR: NY5545641109
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings