History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fingland Farmhouse and Adjoining Barn

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bowness, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9032 / 54°54'11"N

Longitude: -3.1638 / 3°9'49"W

OS Eastings: 325471

OS Northings: 557119

OS Grid: NY254571

Mapcode National: GBR 6CBR.V4

Mapcode Global: WH6YV.C0NY

Entry Name: Fingland Farmhouse and Adjoining Barn

Listing Date: 11 April 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1327125

English Heritage Legacy ID: 71906

Location: Bowness, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA7

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

Civil Parish: Bowness

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Bowness-on-Solway St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Drumburgh

Listing Text

NY 25 NE BOWNESS Fingland


6/28 Fingland Farmhouse &
11/4/67 adjoining barn

II*

Farmhouse now house. Probably late C17, with alterations dated 1735 and
initials J.H. (John Hewson) over entrance. Clay walls on projecting stone
plinth, repaired with cobbles and raised in height with brick, covered with
painted render; C20 Welsh slate roof, rendered chimney stacks. Long-house with
cross passage. 2 storeys, 3 bays; barn to right under common roof. 6-panel
door in painted stone architrave, dated and inscribed entablature. Central
ground floor 2-light stone-mullioned window with chamfered surround and hood
mould; similar upper floor window without hood and with flat mullion. Flanking
sash windows with glazing bars in C18 painted stone surrounds. Small fire
window with chamfered surround to right. Interior: principal ground floor room
has inglenook with stone heck partition, C19 cast iron range and spice cupboard
recess to left. C17 moulded beans and built-in panelled cupboard. Powder horn
dated 1691, was found sealed above one of the beams, during 1980s restoration.
Roof: 2 C17 full crucks and 3 C18 upper crucks. Barn: blank front wall
supported by 2 buttresses. Rear wall: plank cart entrance, slatted openings.


Listing NGR: NY2547157119

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.