History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moss Side and Adjoining Former Barn

A Grade II Listed Building in Bassenthwaite, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6633 / 54°39'47"N

Longitude: -3.1962 / 3°11'46"W

OS Eastings: 322937

OS Northings: 530454

OS Grid: NY229304

Mapcode National: GBR 6G3J.T4

Mapcode Global: WH6ZZ.W15X

Entry Name: Moss Side and Adjoining Former Barn

Listing Date: 8 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1327180

English Heritage Legacy ID: 72103

Location: Bassenthwaite, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA12

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

Civil Parish: Bassenthwaite

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Binsey Team

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Sunderland

Listing Text

NY 23 SW BASSENTHWAITE

4/19 Moss Side and
adjoining former barn

II

Farmhouse and former barn now private house. Late C17 with C19 extension; late
C18 or early Cl9 barn with C20 alterations. Mixed rubble with red sandstone
dressings, under graduated greenslate roof with roughcast and yellow brick
chimney stacks. Former barn with roughcast walls under graduated greenslate
roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays with 2-storey right-angled barn to right forming
overall L-shape. C20 door in alternate-block surround. 2-light stone-mullioned
windows with smaller firewindow to right. C20 glazed porch to right side and
2-storey Cl9 extension to rear. Barn now forms integral part of house with C20
windows. Interior of house has beamed ground-floor ceilings. Early C18 stone
fireplace with moulded stone mantelpiece. Carved and panelled court cupboard
dated 1672 was in the house when the present owner purchased in 1938 and as the
doorways were too narrow and windows too small, she thinks it has always been
there, although moved from its original position. Interior of barn has
alterations dated and inscribed on stone fireplace M.D., R.V.D., 1938 (Arthur
Morley Dobson and Rose Virginia Dobson). Reused C18 staircase with turned
balusters and carved tread ends, and inscribed C17 & C18 carved panelling, all
came from the demolished Grimes Hill, Sedbergh.


Listing NGR: NY2293730454

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.