This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4141 / 50°24'50"N
Longitude: -5.0843 / 5°5'3"W
OS Eastings: 180972
OS Northings: 61682
OS Grid: SW809616
Mapcode National: GBR ZB.Z5LQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 077Y.P2R
Entry Name: Claremont Methodist Church with Attached Church Hall
Listing Date: 12 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327385
English Heritage Legacy ID: 71116
Location: Newquay, Cornwall, TR7
Civil Parish: Newquay
Built-Up Area: Newquay
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Newquay
Church of England Diocese: Truro
NEWQUAY BEACHFIELD AVENUE, Newquay
16/112 Claremont Methodist Church with
- attached church hall
Methodist church with attached church hall. Church dated 1895 on foundation stone,
the church hall dated 1900. Squared stone rubble with granite dressings, and rock-
faced granite quoins. Slate roof with ridge tiles and gable ends.
Plan: Three parallel ranges with gable ends to the road; the church to the left has
a single auditorium plan, with entrance at the front gable end and ritual east to
rear. Church hall attached at the right side attached by a linking corridor. Gothic
style, loosely Early English.
Exterior: The church has the central bay of the front gable end broken forward with
pilasters surmounted by corbelled pyramidal pinnacles with finials. Central double
doors with Gothic panelling and fanlight, gabled hood with continuous hood mould.
Bandcourse with blank cusped panels above and quatrefoil in the gable set in a
roundel. Right and left of the centre bay a single pointed arched light with hood
mould. Corridor at the right side with double doors, linking the church to the
church hall. This is 2-storey, with gable end front with 4 single shouldered arched
lights at ground floor and datestone set in a gable over the band course. First
floor has triple window with central paired trefoil-headed lights and plate tracery;
single light to each side, continuous hood mould with frieze of trefoils over.
Raised coped verges to the gable and rusticated quoins. The left side of the church
has 2 pointed arched windows and a wing to left with single pointed arched light and
Interior: Not inspected.
Listing NGR: SW8097261682
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings