This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3889 / 50°23'19"N
Longitude: -4.8842 / 4°53'3"W
OS Eastings: 195072
OS Northings: 58306
OS Grid: SW950583
Mapcode National: GBR ZQ.XQ8W
Mapcode Global: FRA 08N0.P0F
Entry Name: Church of St Dennis
Listing Date: 10 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327433
English Heritage Legacy ID: 71280
Location: St. Dennis, Cornwall, PL26
Civil Parish: St. Dennis
Built-Up Area: St Dennis
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Dennis
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST DENNIS CHURCH ROAD, St Dennis
SW 95 NE
13/281 Church of St Dennis
Parish church. Probably late C14 - early C15, with later C15 tower; dated 1847 when
the church was substantially rebuilt. The church was badly damaged by fire and is in
the course of rebuilding at the time of survey (July 1987). Squared granite rubble
with granite dressings. Granite ashlar tower. C20 slate roof with ridge tiles,
gable ends with raised coped verges and cross finials.
Plan:, Nave and chancel in one, rebuilt in 1847 under the same gable with the south
aisle, and a south porch of 1847. North aisle, rebuilt C19. West tower probably of
Exterior: The east end includes the chancel and the south aisle; there are two 3-
light windows with cusped lights, 4-centred arches and hood moulds, of the C19
rebuilding. The north side of the nave has two 2-light C19 windows with cusped
lights and square heads.
The south aisle is of 5 bays with the porch in the second bay from the west. All
windows are C19, 2-light, with cusped lights and triangular hood moulds. West end
blind, rebuilt probably in circa late C15 in granite ashlar.
Gabled south porch has 4-centred arched outer doorway with moulded shafts to sides
with caps and C19 cast iron gates. Pedimental panelled gable with datestone 1847 and
obelisk finials. Interior of the porch has stone benches to sides and inner 4-
centred arched doorway with roll-mouldings and cushion stops.
The north aisle is of 2 bays, with 2-light and 3-light window with cusped lights and
square hood moulds. Similar 2-light east window.
The west tower is of 2 stages on chamfered plinth, without buttresses, with moulded
string courses, embattled parapet with circular panelled pinnacles. Circular stair
tower to north with lancets, parapet with coping. 4-centred arched west doorway
forming a shallow internal porch; paired lancet above with Y tracery and hood mould.
Second stage has 2-light bell-openings with cusped lights, Y tracery louvres and hood
moulds. Second stage to north has single cusped light. Pyramidal lead roof.
Interior: Plastered walls, and C20 5-bay arched-brace roof rising from stone corbels
in the nave, chancel and south aisle, all in one. 4-centred tower arch, with inner
arch with carved figures as springers. Stone newel stair in the stair tower. There
is a 3-bay arcade to the north aisle, rebuilt C20, with octagonal piers.
Fittings: Only the font remains, in the nave, in granite, with panelled sides and
stem, probably C19.
The church is built on the site of an Iron Age hill fort and is a prominent local
landmark. The boundary wall of the churchyard is circular, following the outline of
the fort and retains a good collection of C19 monuments, not all individually listed.
Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.
Listing NGR: SW9507258306
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings