This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.075 / 50°4'29"N
Longitude: -5.6224 / 5°37'20"W
OS Eastings: 140914
OS Northings: 25718
OS Grid: SW409257
Mapcode National: GBR DXHH.3FT
Mapcode Global: VH05N.HCHV
Entry Name: Church of Saint Buryan
Listing Date: 15 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327526
English Heritage Legacy ID: 69682
Location: St. Buryan, Cornwall, TR19
Civil Parish: St. Buryan
Built-Up Area: St Buryan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Buryan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 42 NW
5/128 (was 19/100)
Church of Saint Buryan
Parish church. North wall of chancel is C12, otherwise C15 and possibly early C16. Restored in 1814 and 1886. Granite ashlar and granite rubble walls, dressed Elvan to parts of C12 walls, otherwise mostly granite dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs with granite coped gable ends.
PLAN: Nave/chancel under one roof, west tower, north aisle, south aisle and south porch, all C15 or early C16 except for parts of chancel which are C12. Late-medieval (late C15 or early C16) arcades and roof structures.
EXTERIOR: Largely unaltered late-medieval exterior, with most of the original
openings. 4-centred arched north and south doorways, late-Perpendicular windows
except for the east window of the chancel and windows at east and west ends of the south aisle which are late C19 in Perpendicular style. Tall C15 4-storey embattled tower has buttresses set back from the corners; strings dividing the stages; octagonal stair tower in the angle between the north wall and north aisle; corner pinnacles; 2-centred arched west doorway; 5-light traceried window over doorway and 3-light traceried windows to the upper stage. All principal openings of the church have hoodmoulds. Circa late C15 embattled porch has moulded doorway and buttresses set back from the corners. There is a blocked priest's doorway toward the east end of the south wall of the south aisle.
INTERIOR: Lofty, mostly plastered interior with many late-medieval features including pointed tower arch carried on moulded-corbels; 6-bay arcades, with standard 'A' (Pevsner) piers and 4-centred arches, between nave/chancel and the aisle; rood stair in south wall and waggon roofs throughout. In north wall of chancel are 1½ bays of a C12 arcade with round arcade pier and respond and round arches. A later doorway which led to former chapel to the north is visible on the outside wall.
FITTINGS: C15 font with round bowl and four carved angels over central shaft
resembling the arcade piers; C15 or early C16 rood screen reassembled from fragments in 1910 and extended to its original size and with much original red, blue and green paint and gilding to the original medieval parts; two medieval bench ends and other carved fragments made into a lectern and two, probably C16, double misericords, otherwise C19 or C20 fittings.
MONUMENTS: Probably C13 stone coffin-shaped tomb to Clarice, wife of Geoffrey de
Bolleit, (north-west corner); C17 slate to Arthur Levelis, died 1671 of Trewoof, qv (west wall of south aisle), and some memorial windows.
Listing NGR: SW4091425717
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings