This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.593 / 50°35'34"N
Longitude: -4.7354 / 4°44'7"W
OS Eastings: 206488
OS Northings: 80599
OS Grid: SX064805
Mapcode National: GBR N2.CTPW
Mapcode Global: FRA 07ZH.M0B
Plus Code: 9C2QH7V7+5R
Entry Name: Smithy 5 Metres to East of Church View
Listing Date: 13 January 1988
Last Amended: 4 June 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327692
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68602
Location: St. Teath, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: St. Teath
Built-Up Area: St Teath
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Teath
Church of England Diocese: Truro
A smithy, now in use as a storage space, dating from the early- to mid C19.
A former smithy dating from the early- to mid-C19.
MATERIALS: the building is constructed in stone rubble, with cob to the west gable end. The north front facing Fore Street is rendered and painted. The pitched roof is covered in Cornish slate with plain red ridge tiles. As stated in the List entry published in 1988, it had at least one crested ridge tile and a brick end stack in the front roof slope to the right, both now lost.
PLAN: the single-storey building has a rectangular open plan with a central entrance. The location of the former forge is believed to have been to the right of the removed stack.
EXTERIOR: the north front has a plank door to the centre flanked by a C19 part shuttered window on the left and a C19 single-light casement to the right. The west gable end has small C19 four-light casement window, set off-centre to the right. The rear elevation could not be seen.
INTERIOR: the building has a C19 timber coupled rafter roof. Its ridge piece appears to have been replaced.
The smithy on Fore Street, as indicated by the 1841 Tithe Map and Apportionment for St Teath, appears to have formed part of a group of buildings facing Fore Street, with a yard to the rear. At that time these were owned by WC Hockin and occupied by a number of tenants. By 1906, as recorded in Kelly's Directory of Cornwall, they were owned / used by Mrs Sarah Hockin, a farmer from nearby Trewennen.
By 1841, St Teath had a commercial blacksmith, William Henry Hicks, who was still trading in 1906. His smithy stood just 25m to the south-west of the smithy on Fore Street, now known as Forge Cottage (listed at Grade II). By 1906 there was another blacksmith in the village, Thomas Auger, but it is not known where he had his premises.
The smithy 5 metres east of Church View, Fore Street, St Teath, Cornwall, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: as a good example of small early- to mid-C19 smithy displaying good quality architectural detailing.
* Historic Interest: as an interesting and poignant reminder of the important role of small metal industry within rural communities.
* Intactness: the building has survived mostly intact.
Other nearby listed buildings