This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5929 / 50°35'34"N
Longitude: -4.7361 / 4°44'9"W
OS Eastings: 206439
OS Northings: 80594
OS Grid: SX064805
Mapcode National: GBR N2.CTHG
Mapcode Global: FRA 07ZH.LQ9
Entry Name: Church of St Tetha
Listing Date: 13 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327712
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68610
Location: St. Teath, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: St. Teath
Built-Up Area: St Teath
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Teath
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST TEATH ST TEATH
SX 0680 - 0780
7/171 Church of St Tetha
Parish church dedicated to St Tetha. Norman origins, north and south aisles added in
C15 and west tower partly remodelled in 1630 (datestone). Restored in 1877-9 and in
Stone rubble, snecked to north and south aisles with moulded plinth and wall plate
and large granite quoins. Tower of stone rubble with bands of ashlar granite. Slate
roofs, nave and chancel in one.
Plan: Norman origins with remains at north west corner of nave near junction of north
arcade and tower base. Pevsner suggests first stage of tower is Norman. North and
south aisles added in C15, probably with south porch. Tower remodelled in 1630
Exterior: 3-light Perpendicular windows in north and south aisles, partly replaced in
south aisles during C19 restoration. Rood loft stair projection to north aisle.
West tower of 3 stages with moulded strings and plinth and battlemented parapet with
crocketted finials. West door with datestone 1630 with 3-light Perpendicular west
window. Circa C15 arch to south porch.
Interior: Circa C15 waggon roofs to nave, chancel, north and south aisles. Nave roof
partly replaced in mid C20 and north and south aisle roofs replastered. High quality
carving to wall plate in north aisle. 6-bay arcades to north and south aisles with
4-centred arches and type A (Pevsner) piers. Furnishings partly replaced with circa
C15 bench ends in north and south aisles. Circa C17 carved panels incorporated in
choir stalls and C17 panels incorporated in pulpit with arms of Carminow family.
Royal arms dated 1703. C15 font. Rood loft stair in north aisle. C17 alms box. 2
parts of Norman capitals reused as base for altar table in north aisle. Norman font
bowl found at Vicarage Farm (qv). Circa C15 recumbent effigy in south aisle window.
Memorials including C16, C17 and C18 ledger stones. Fragments of old glass.
On site of Lan.
Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg
Minor in the County of Cornwall 1879.
Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition 1970.
Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1873,
Listing NGR: SX0644280596
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings