This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4559 / 50°27'21"N
Longitude: -4.765 / 4°45'54"W
OS Eastings: 203822
OS Northings: 65439
OS Grid: SX038654
Mapcode National: GBR N0.NRTL
Mapcode Global: FRA 07XV.FF6
Entry Name: Watermill About 30 Metres South of the Mill
Listing Date: 15 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327900
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67581
Location: Lanivet, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Lanivet
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lanivet
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 06 NW
4/107 Watermill about 30 metres south of
- The Mill
Watermill. C18, with addition of circa 1840 and few later alterations. Granite and
slatestone rubble, with brick dressings. Slate roof with ridge tiles and gable ends.
Plan: The original mill building was of roughly square plan, with the leat running
from behind, driving an overshot wheel at the right side. Circa 1840, an addition of
about equal size was added at the left end, with a second overshot wheel at the left
side ; the two tailraces run from the front of the mill and join together. Later in
the C19, a lean-to addition of one storey with loft over was added to the front of
the C19 building.
Exterior: The whole building is 3-storey, the spout floor, stone floor and bin floor
at the top. In the C18 building, there is a stable door with brick segmental arch
and 4-pane light with brick segmental arch. 2-light casement above to the stone
floor. To left, the 2-storey lean-to, with corrugated iron cladding at first floor ;
C20 windows at ground floor and door. Right side has C20 window at upper level,
probably originally a loading door. The right side of the mill has the wheel pit,
with socket for the watershaft in the wall. The ground level is higher at the rear,
so the leat would run straight into the wheel pit. Wheel missing. At the left side
there is a similar arrangement, with a cast iron wheel in the pit ; iron watershaft
and wooden spokes, formerly with iron shrouds and floats. Window at the stone floor
and 2 small single lights to the bin floor. The side of the lean-to has a C20 window
and blocked loading door. At the rear there is a 4-pane light to the stone floor and
to right a 2-light casement to the spout floor and door at upper level.
Interior: Inside the C18 mill, the pit wheel, wallower and spur wheel are missing,
the stone nut remaining. There is gearing for the sack hoist. On the stone floor
there were 2 sets of stones ; the bottom stone of one set remains, buhrstone with
cast iron banding. On the bin floor, there are wooden chutes built into the floor,
which were directed down to the stones. Pulley for sack hoist. No internal
machinery remains in the C19 building.
Listing NGR: SX0382265439
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings