History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn with Horse-Engine House and Water Wheel 30 Metres to West of Carhart Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Breock, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.522 / 50°31'19"N

Longitude: -4.8842 / 4°53'3"W

OS Eastings: 195650

OS Northings: 73104

OS Grid: SW956731

Mapcode National: GBR ZQ.NB9X

Mapcode Global: FRA 07NP.903

Entry Name: Barn with Horse-Engine House and Water Wheel 30 Metres to West of Carhart Farmhouse

Listing Date: 4 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1327916

English Heritage Legacy ID: 67675

Location: St. Breock, Cornwall, PL27

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Breock

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Breoke

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Saint Issey

Listing Text

ST BREOCK
SW 97 SE
3/42 Barn with horse-engine house and
water wheel 30 metres to west of
Carhart Farmhouse

II


Barn with water wheel and horse-engine house. Circa early C19 with horse-engine
house added slightly later and water wheel added in 1848. Stone rubble. Slate roof
with hipped ends with rag slate roof with hipped end to right.
Plan: Barn originally probably of overal 'L' shaped plan with shippons on ground
floor and threshing floor and hay loft on first floor. A horse-engine house was
added to rear left in circa early C19 and an overshot water wheel was added in an
outshot on the left hand side in 1848.
Exterior: Two storeys with brick segmental arches to the openings. Asymmetrically
placed plank doors flanked by window openings on ground floor with 4-window openings
on first and plank door near angle of two ranges.
Interior: The horse-engine house appears to retain part of the original timber
framing for the machinery including the original central timber post. The water
wheel on the left hand side was manufactured by Oatey of Wadebridge and has a date
on the wheel, 1848. The hybrid overshot wheel retains its timber buckets and is over
20 feet in diameter.


Listing NGR: SW9565073104

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.