History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tehidy House

A Grade II Listed Building in Illogan, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2439 / 50°14'38"N

Longitude: -5.3012 / 5°18'4"W

OS Eastings: 164721

OS Northings: 43428

OS Grid: SW647434

Mapcode National: GBR FX91.6HZ

Mapcode Global: VH12J.249C

Entry Name: Tehidy House

Listing Date: 26 January 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1328152

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66760

Location: Illogan, Cornwall, TR14

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Illogan

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Saint Illogan

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Tuckingmill

Listing Text

ILLOGAN TEHIDY PARK
SW 64 SW
4/204
Tehidy House
26.1.89
GV
II
Country house, the seat of the Basset family; now part of hospital complex.
Now 1734 (pavilions), 1863 (conservatory) and 1922 (main range): see History
below. Sandstone ashlar, with pavilions in scored stucco, slate roofs. In the
original plan a square 3-storey mansion house facing east was placed in the
centre of an east-west rectangle formed by 4 detached pavilions; C19 additions
extended the rear of the house, linking it to the north-west pavilion (the other
was demolished); following a fire in 1919 the site of the house itself was
cleared, leaving its three pavilions at the corners and the cellars of the former
house as a sunk garden with the surviving conservatory at the west end; and a
new main range was built between and attached to the eastern pair of pavilions.
This is rectangular, and of 2 storeys and 4:3:4 bays, symmetrical, in classical
style, with a granite plinth of channelled rustication, corner pilasters similarly
decorated, and a modillioned cornice; it has a pedimented 2-storey 3-bay porte-
cochere in the centre, with Tuscan columns on very high pedestals, set-back
semi-elliptical arches to the ground floor, wrought-iron railings to the balcony, a
modillioned cornice, and an oculus in the pediment; the doorway has double doors
and a doorcase of semi-columns with triglyph frieze and mutule cornice; the
windows are sashed, with 18 panes at ground floor and 15 above, and have raised
surrounds with keystones. Hipped roof with a disproportionately high clock tower
in the centre of the front slope, surmounted by an octagonal bellcote with
domed cap, and 2 chimneys each side. At each end is a narrow 2-storey link
with a round-headed window at 1st floor. The east pavilions, (surviving parts of
the early C18 build, now forming crosswings) are of scored stucco painted white,
rectangular, 3x5 bays and 2 slightly lower storeys, with a 1st floor band, cornice
and blocking course; they have 12-pane sashed windows at ground floor and low
4-pane sashes above (apparently original, with thick glazing bars), all with raised
surrounds and keystones (but that at ground floor in 3rd bay of south pavilion
altered as door), and hipped rectangular roofs with 4 chimneys and a central
lantern with large keyed oculus in each side and ogival cap with finial. Their
return walls differ in some details: the south is of sandstone ashlar and has a
ground floor arcade of round-headed arches with impost band, containing round-
headed windows (glazing altered) and doors in alternation, and a lead downspout
fixed by brackets decorated with stars; the north has a central doorway altered
as a window, and a C19 tripartite window to the right. Rear: main range has
inter alia a round-headed doorway in the centre and canted bay windows in the
1st, 4th, 6th and 9th bays; south pavilion has large round-arched recess
containing statue of Flora flanked by coved niches containing urns. The north-
west pavilion, (linked to the north-east by a long hospital wing in harmonious
materials and style), has inserted double doors in the north wall, a large
ventilator attached at 1st floor, and C19 glazing in the windows, but is otherwise
similar to the others. At the south-west corner of the sunk garden the rusticated
basement of the former (1863) drawing room forms a raised terrace leading to
the former conservatory, a single-storey 7-bay building raised on a high plinth,
with a 3-bay canted centre, channelled rustication to the plinth, an arcade of
large round-headed windows, and balustraded parapet; the interior has painted
panels in the coving to the large skylight. Other parts not of special interest.
History: 1734-39, by Thomas Edwards of Greenwich, for John Pendarves Basset;
otherwise, see Michael Tangye Tehidy and the Bassets (1984).


Listing NGR: SW6472143428

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.