This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1532 / 50°9'11"N
Longitude: -5.1265 / 5°7'35"W
OS Eastings: 176751
OS Northings: 32803
OS Grid: SW767328
Mapcode National: GBR ZB.5DHT
Mapcode Global: FRA 084M.4LD
Entry Name: Argal Manor House
Listing Date: 24 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1328470
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66418
Location: Budock, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Budock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Budock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 SE BUDOCK
3/21 Argal Manor House
Manor house. Datestone 1760. Built for the Rev. Edward Hodge, extended in the early
C19 and most of front wall of C18 house and adjoining wall of C19 garden front
rebuilt circa 1930's. Granite ashlar to C19 front, otherwise granite rubble with
granite dressings or roughly dressed quarried granite. Dry Delabole slate roofs over
C18 and C19 ranges: hipped roof (with projecting eaves) over C19 garden front range
with C20 granite chimney over right-hand side. Similar chimneys over gable ends of
the C18 range and its C19 extension. Scantle slate roof with hipped end to single-
storey rear wing on the right.
Plan: Overall irregular U-shaped plan. Original C18 house has kitchen on the left
with original large fireplace and parlour on the right (now I room). Behind the
left-hand side is a service room in integral rear outshut; behind the right hand-side
is a large C19 entrance and stair hall. On the right is a 2 rooms deep C19 garden
front range. On the left is a 1-room plan circa early C19 servant's cottage addition
with later-C19 lean-to behind. Adjoining on the left of the rear entrance hall is a
single-storey circa early-C20 service wing.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Overall 5-window south front. Original nearly symmetrical 3
window front C18 house in the middle with most of front wall rebuilt in the C20.
One-window front circa early C19 cottage on the left and one-window end of early C19
garden front on the right (also rebuilt in the C20). Original house has doorway
slightly right of middle with early-Cl9 20-pane sash over and similar sash on its
right. Otherwise C20 horned copy sashes to this front and C20 door.
Symmetrical 3-window east garden front is unaltered and has its original 16-pane
hornless sashes with some crown glass. This front has shallow segmental arches with
Principal rear doorway has old 6-panel door with panelled reveals and C20 classical
style distyle porch. There is evidence for a former conservatory.
Interior: Ground floor only inspected. C18 house has large C18 granite fireplace on
the left and C20 granite fireplace on the right. Round-headed wooden fronted niches
on either side. Circa early C19 panelled doors and moulded architraves with roundels
to the corner blocks; possibly later C19 moulded ceiling cornices in reception rooms.
Circa 1936 stair in C18 style. Circa late-C18 or early-C19 marble chimney-piece in
far right-hand room is from another house.
Listing NGR: SW7675032804
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings