History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trevince House

A Grade II Listed Building in Gwennap, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.219 / 50°13'8"N

Longitude: -5.1749 / 5°10'29"W

OS Eastings: 173609

OS Northings: 40270

OS Grid: SW736402

Mapcode National: GBR Z6.2CRQ

Mapcode Global: FRA 081F.XDS

Plus Code: 9C2P6R9G+J2

Entry Name: Trevince House

Listing Date: 3 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1328989

English Heritage Legacy ID: 63200

Location: Gwennap, Cornwall, TR16

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Gwennap

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Gwennap

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Gwennap

Description

GWENNAP
SW 74 SW
4/102 Trevince House
-
GV II
Country house on site of manor. Mainly rebuilt and remodelled circa 1870 but
incorporating circa C17, C18 and early C19 parts. Various walling including some
granite ashlar (south) squared killas brought to course with granite dressings (west)
and killas rubble with granite quoins, jambstone, sills and lintels (east). Roofs
hipped to south and east and with gable ends to north. Dry Delabole slate over main
part and with grouted scantle slate roof over east wing. Axial and gable brick
chimneys. Complicated irregular plan of possibly earlier core, 2-room double depth
farmhouse wing to right (east); 1 room of circa early C19 formerly 2-room house
projecting forward to left of middle (south) plus later room in angle between this
and east wing. Finally circa 1870, extended to far left with 3-room garden front
range built at right angles facing west and with rear service rooms. 2 storeys and
with attic to later parts. Irregular south front of canted 3-window, circa 1870, bay
left adjoining 2-window ashlar front, probably surviving from former 5-window front
of circa early C19. Later or remodelled 2-window rendered front, right, slightly
recessed and in angle between main part of house and circa earlier C19 3-window south
front of east wing right. Main part of house south and west fronts have mostly
horned 4-pane sashes and 2 courses of dentil like bricks to eaves. Louvered shutters
to south west ground floor rooms and French windows with marginal glazing becoming
arched in overlights to ground floor openings of ashlar front. Roof dormer over
middle with gable pediment. South front of east wing has original hornless 16-pane
sashes with lintels over incised to resemble voussoirs. West 4-window entrance front
has tetrastyle granite Tuscan porch to entrance in second from left opening. Granite
plinth, mid-floor string and voussoirs to shallow arches. 4 roof dormers with gable
pediments and horned 6-pane sashes.
Interior not inspected but said to have fine stair hall and some panelled rooms.
One of the farmbuildings has roof surmounted by a clock.


Listing NGR: SW7360940270

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.