This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5339 / 50°32'1"N
Longitude: -4.4341 / 4°26'2"W
OS Eastings: 227597
OS Northings: 73285
OS Grid: SX275732
Mapcode National: GBR NH.HLW3
Mapcode Global: FRA 17LN.BCG
Entry Name: Darley Farmhouse
Listing Date: 5 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1329173
English Heritage Legacy ID: 62146
Location: Linkinhorne, Cornwall, PL14
Civil Parish: Linkinhorne
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Linkinhorne
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 27 SE
6/7 Darley Farmhouse
Farmhouse. C17 origin, with front range of circa 1800; alterations of mid C19 and
C20. Slatestone rubble with granite quoins. Slate roof with ridge tiles and gable
ends; front range has gable end stacks in granite with cornice and shaped top; rear
wing has axial stack, also with cornice and shaped top.
Plan: The rear wing appears to be the truncated remains of a 3-room plan house; 2
rooms survive, heated by an axial stack, although the outer room does not appear to
have had a fireplace, and is built into the bank, with a loft at first floor. Circa
1800, the house was re-oriented, with a front range added at right angles of 2-room
plan, with slightly off-centre to left entrance; larger room to right and smaller
room to left, each heated by gable end stack. Probably in the mid C19, the stair
well was added to the rear of the entrance passage. An outshut of single storey,
unheated, was added to the rear right, probably in mid - late C19.
Exterior: 2 storeys, nearly symmetrical 3-window front; all windows are paired 12-
pane sashes with cambered stone heads, of circa 1800. Central panelled and glazed
door with overlight and hood; first floor central 12-pane sash. The left end only
has large granite quoins. The left side is painted rubble. The right side has
external stack and attached single storey open-fronted rubble shed with corrugated
iron roof. The rear of the main range has a stair tower with hipped roof and crested
ridge tiles. To left there is a small single storey outshut, with 4-light casement
to rear. Door to end right, leading to the loft over the end room. The gable end
of the wing is blind. At the left side, the wing is painted rubble; the end room has
a door and 2-light casement at ground floor, 2-light 3-pane casement and small C19
16-pane sash at first floor. The inner room has a C20 porch set in the angle to the
main front range, plate-glass sash with sidelights to left, two 3-light C20 casements
at first floor. Attached to the rear of the rear wing is a short wall in rubble,
with re-set datestone with initials: IDE 1733.
Interior: The mid C19 stair well is of unusual quality in a farmhouse; it is in
Gothic style. Open-well stair with balustrade forming an arcade of pointed arches,
and a skylight over with brattished wall-plate. To the side of the stair well is a
small 2-light cusped window. When the house was remodelled, the inner room of the
rear wing was used as a kitchen, and the outer room became an unheated store room.
Listing NGR: SX2917273224
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings