History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kithill Castle

A Grade II Listed Building in Callington, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5116 / 50°30'41"N

Longitude: -4.2893 / 4°17'21"W

OS Eastings: 237779

OS Northings: 70479

OS Grid: SX377704

Mapcode National: GBR NP.K22X

Mapcode Global: FRA 17XQ.0S9

Entry Name: Kithill Castle

Listing Date: 23 January 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1329413

English Heritage Legacy ID: 61207

Location: Callington, Cornwall, PL17

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Callington

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Callington

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Callington

Listing Text

SX 37 SE CALLINGTON

3/6 Kithill Castle

23,1.68

GV II

Engine house for Princess of Wales Mine converted to a spa and health resort and now
a private house. Circa early C19, converted circa 1880 for William Dingle.
Rubblestone, rendered, with large granite quoins. Moulded granite string above
ground floor on front. Flat plat-band on front above first floor. Slate roof with
hipped ends extended to rear in cat-slide. Brick stacks to rear. Comprising one
large room per storey. Originally 4 storeys with flat roof, later reduced to 3 in
circa mid C20. Ground floor with projecting porch covered in locally made Phoenix
terracotta ornamental tiles. Moulded granite cornice with sl.ightly coved roof.
Entrance door and rectangular side windows with margin glazing bars. First floor
with 2 round headed sashes with thin glazing bars. 2 round headed sashes above with
radiating glazing bars and stone keys in round arches. Right-hand side wall with 12-
pane sashes with segmented arched heads to ground and first floor. Second floor sash
altered in bottom light. Extending to rear, kitchen wing with 2 storey further
extension on east. Rubblestone with slate roof with gable ends. 12-pane sashes on
ground floor and 16-pane sash above. Late C19 cast iron grates retained in interior.
For illustrations of Kit Hill Castle prior to alterations, see Lightbody p105 and
Venning p73. Patron, William Dingle was an eminent leader of the Wesleyan Church in
Callington.
A. K. Hamilton Jenkin Mines and Miners of Cornwall volume 15, 1976
Sheila Lightbody The Book of Callington 1982
James Venning Vennings New Central Postal Directory 1901, p73


Listing NGR: SX3777970479

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.