History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

National Westminster Bank

A Grade II* Listed Building in Prestbury, Cheshire East

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2895 / 53°17'22"N

Longitude: -2.1514 / 2°9'4"W

OS Eastings: 390005

OS Northings: 376954

OS Grid: SJ900769

Mapcode National: GBR FZFD.1J

Mapcode Global: WHBBG.XLQ2

Entry Name: National Westminster Bank

Listing Date: 25 July 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1329653

English Heritage Legacy ID: 58372

Location: Prestbury, Cheshire East, SK10

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Prestbury

Built-Up Area: Macclesfield

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Prestbury St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Prestbury

Listing Text

SJ 97 NW PRESTBURY C.P. THE VILLAGE
(West Side)

5/206 & 6/206 National Westminster
Bank (formerly listed
as Priest's House)

25/7/1952

GV II*

Formerly vicarage (known as Priest's House) later cottages and now a
bank. C16 origins. Much earlier C17 work complete and sympathetic
restoration 1968-70. Timber framed on ashlar sandstone plinth.
Kerridge stone-slate roof and stone ridge. 2½ storey, near
symmetrical 5-bay front. 2nd and 4th bays are square projections
rising 2½ storeys with cross gabled roofs to dormers. Lower storey
has 2-light casements with applied lozenge shaped glazing. Above are
2-light windows with trefoil shaped heads, some with original lattice
leaded glazing. Fronts and sides of dormers have cross motifs in
small panels and single lights. Between these bays at 1st floor is a
balcony with flat shaped balusters and wainscotting behind. Other
bays use similar elements. Tiny circular light on the centre of the
ridge. Right gable has a tiebeam and collar truss and considerable
buff sandstone extensions to the rear.
Interior: Much altered to bank's needs but 2 cast iron firebacks
found in the restoration displayed in the banking hall. One is dated
1635 and with the arms of Charles I, and the other is late C17/C18,
Dutch in origin.
This building, replaced as vicarage by the Manor House (q.v.) in 1708,
has a distinctive and lopsided appearance and forms the focal point of
the village street.


Listing NGR: SJ9000576954

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.