This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3279 / 53°19'40"N
Longitude: -2.3674 / 2°22'2"W
OS Eastings: 375629
OS Northings: 381282
OS Grid: SJ756812
Mapcode National: GBR CYXY.8R
Mapcode Global: WH991.LMW4
Entry Name: Tatton Old Hall
Listing Date: 5 March 1959
Last Amended: 20 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1329674
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58485
Location: Tatton, Cheshire East, WA16
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Tatton
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Rostherne St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 78 SE TATTON C.P. TATTON PARK
4/110 Tatton Old Hall
(formerly listed as Old
House. Late C15-Early C16 with C17, C18, C19 and C20 additions and
alterations. Red English garden wall bond brick. Stone slate roof.
Originally all timber framed, but the framing of the external walls
was replaced in the late C17 or early C18. L shaped, 2 storeys.
South east front: Stone plinth. Slight projection to far left hand
side with band of 3 bricks height. Gabled wing to far right (probably
an C18 extension of a less prominant C16 projection). Abutting
chimneystack to right of centre of one flue and another with 2
diamond-shaped flues. 5 windows to ground floor and 3 to first floor,
all C19 replacements. All the upper floor windows and 2 ground floor
windows are ovolo-moulded mullion windows of 2 lights. C19 gabled
porch to left of centre. Break in plinth indicating probable former
doorway to left of 2-flue chimneystack. North eastern elevation.
Stone plinth; gable; string courses above ground and first floor
windows, raised at the corners; gable brickwork slightly recessed
above the string course. One C19 ovolo moulded 2-light mullion window
to each floor. Circular light in gable. End rafters and ends of
purlins exposed. C18 wing to left with one 2-light ovolo moulded
mullion window to each floor and doorway to ground floor. Exterior of
hall block: all windows C19 replacements of ovolo moulded mullioned
sort in 2 storeys reflecting C19 division of hall. C19 porch to south
west. The brickwork to all the external walls is unevenly bonded in
places due to the piecemeal replacement of timber framing with brick.
Interior: Hall: single aisleless rectangular space with gallery at
south-eastern end. The inserted floors have been removed. Roof of
c1480-1520: wall plate with facing carved in fern leaf and artichoke
pattern with battlemented moulding above. 2 principal trusses and
spere truss have cambered ties, decorated on the side facing the
north-western (dais) end with the fern leaf and artichoke and
battlements pattern. Row of 11 moulded struts above connecting with a
cambered collar beam carved with a row of quatrefoils (the most
north-westerly principal truss having rosettes at the centre of each
quatrefoil). Triangular plate carved with a central quatrefoil and 2
daggers connects this to the ridge. Simple trusses alternating with
the principal fafters connected by unmoulded collar beams. These
principal rafters are plainly chamfered but those on the principal
trusses and each of the 3 pairs of purlins are hollow and step
chamfered. Quatrefoil wind bracing throughout save for 3 bays on
south west side and one on the north east side in either of which
places a chimney stack may once have stood. Buttresses and gallery
are C20. Parlour in south eastern wing has richly chamfered ceiling
beams. Upper rooms have small framed walls with wattle and daub
infill. King and queen post trusses to roof. Basket arched early C17
hearth to one first floor room. Tatton Park belonged to the Egerton
family from 1598 until 1958 when it was given to the National Trust
who now administer it in conjunction with Cheshire County Council.
N J Higham - "Tatton Old Hall. A Preliminary Report on
Excavations conducted at Easter 1979", Cheshire
Archaeological Bulletin, No.6, 1978/79, Pages
L McKenna - "An Approach to Dating by Structural Elements",
Cheshire Archaeological Bulletin, No.6, 1978/79,
L McKenna - "From Post Hole to Timber Framed Building",
Cheshire Archaeological Bulletin, No.7, 1980/81,
S R Williams - "The Archaeologist's View", Interpreting Tatton
Park, Countryside Commission/Centre for
Environmental Interpretation, 1983, Pages 61-64.
S R Williams - "The Old Hall and Deserted Village at Tatton Park
near Knutsford", Cheshire Archaeological Bulletin,
No.4, 1976, Pages 7-10.
S R Williams - "Tatton Old Hall : The Rediscovery of a house".
Cheshire History, Jan-Feb 1984.
Listing NGR: SJ7562981282
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings