History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Church of St Leonard

A Grade II* Listed Building in Warmingham, Cheshire East

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.146 / 53°8'45"N

Longitude: -2.4365 / 2°26'11"W

OS Eastings: 370902

OS Northings: 361074

OS Grid: SJ709610

Mapcode National: GBR 7X.5W43

Mapcode Global: WH99Z.J6Z1

Entry Name: The Church of St Leonard

Listing Date: 12 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1330059

English Heritage Legacy ID: 56640

Location: Warmingham, Cheshire East, CW11

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Warmingham

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Warmingham St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Warmingham

Listing Text

SJ 76SW WARMINGHAM C.P. WARMINGHAM ROAD

2/17 The Church of St.
Leonard
12.1.1967

GV II*

Parish church, formerly timber framed, west tower 1715, present church
1870 by Hussey. Tower of bricks, church of red sandstone squared
rubble with slate roof. 4 bay nave and narrower less lofty 1 bay
chancel in Perpendicular style,Cruciform plan. Tower of small bluish
bricks in Flemish Bond with high stone plinth, quoins and coved bands
dividing it into four sections. The tower windows were replaced 1899
and are now gothic revival based substantially on "Y" tracery. There
are clock faces north and south with bullseye west and louvred
openings at bell stage. Moulded cornice, crenellated parapet and
crocketted pinnacles. Gothic opening to north entrance porch flanked
by single shafts with drip mould above, quatrefoil openings to side
and Perpendicular entrance to nave. Chancel and nave windows
Perpendicular style with stained glass in chancel. Corner clasping
and inter-window buttresses, crenellated nave parapet.

Interior: The transepts hardly develop being only one bench width.
Choir stalls with poppyheads in chancel flanked by carved-screens
separating small altar north and organ chamber south. Side aisles
formed by gothic arcade with octagonal columns. C16 carved oak font
cover. Nave has arched collar trusses with hammer beams and corbels
carved is faces, the ends of four hammer beams also have faces.
Chancel has arched collar trusses straight off corbels.

Listing NGR: SJ7090261074

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.