History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Tarporley, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1576 / 53°9'27"N

Longitude: -2.668 / 2°40'4"W

OS Eastings: 355429

OS Northings: 362487

OS Grid: SJ554624

Mapcode National: GBR 7M.50FM

Mapcode Global: WH88J.ZWPN

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 14 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1330175

English Heritage Legacy ID: 57242

Location: Tarporley, Cheshire West and Chester, CW6

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Tarporley

Built-Up Area: Tarporley

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Tarporley St Helen

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Tarporley

Listing Text

SJ 56 SE TARPORLEY C.P. HIGH STREET

1/54 The Manor House

GV II

House. Dated 1585 on gable bressumer. Timber framed and rendered
with slate roof. Two storeys. Entrance front: near symmetrical
front with three gables and projecting lateral gabled wings, that at
left with moulded brackets to jettied first floor and gable. This
gable has decorative timber framing with ogees, quarter-circles and
fleurs de lys, with a central coat of arms. The inscription to the
moulded bressumer reads "Ralph Done Esquyer, the Lorde of this place,
was an eade to this buldying in ever case. John Wytter 1586. The
beam below the first floor (C19 casement window reads "Feneys quoth
Jhon Newsome hathe kept hys promes just, In buldying of thys house in
August, anno 1585." Similar jettied first floor and gable to right
hand side all rendered. C19 two, three and four-light windows to west
with plain bargeboards and posts to gables. Rear: extensive C19
additions including cheeseroom at left and lean-to to centre.
Interior: Small framing to ground and first floor walls with some
wattle and daub infill. C19 spinal corridor. Chamfered and
end-stopped ceiling beams to ground floor rooms and Queen post trusses
to first floor. The house was built for Ralph Done of Flaxyards,
Tarporley.
Source: G Ormerod - History of the County Palatine and City of
Chester 1882.

Listing NGR: SJ5542962487

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.