This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3321 / 53°19'55"N
Longitude: -2.6963 / 2°41'46"W
OS Eastings: 353729
OS Northings: 381908
OS Grid: SJ537819
Mapcode National: GBR 9YMX.28
Mapcode Global: WH87R.KH9X
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 23 April 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1330344
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55979
Location: Halton, WA7
Electoral Ward/Division: Castlefields
Built-Up Area: Runcorn
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Halton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 58 SW HALTON CASTLE ROAD
5/26 Church of St.Mary
Parish Church 1851 by Sir G.G.Scott. Red sandstone with slate roof.
Lofty 4 bay nave with side aisle and chancel roof at lower level.
Bell-turret to nave east gable. Squared snecked rubble walls with
angle buttresses to chancel and corner buttresses to nave. Main
Gothic entrance in south aisle. Windows curvilinear to chancel and
nave, trefoil to clerestorey have drip moulds with stops carved as
faces. All have stained glass. The octagonal bell-turret has trefoil
openings surmounted by gablets and there are gablet kneelers to the
Interior Gothic aisle arcades supported on clusters of four shafts.
Organ chamber and Memorial Chapel flank the chancel north and south.
Good alabaster reredos and oak chapel screens. Boarded waggon roof to _
chancel and similar roof with exposed rafters to nave, trusses carried
on corbels carved as faces. Oak benches with simple poppyheads.
Listing NGR: SJ5372981908
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings