This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.382 / 52°22'55"N
Longitude: -0.0001 / 0°0'0"W
OS Eastings: 536213
OS Northings: 277877
OS Grid: TL362778
Mapcode National: GBR K3P.LSG
Mapcode Global: VHGLS.YD99
Entry Name: 50 High Street Somersham
Listing Date: 4 November 1982
Last Amended: 16 September 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1330812
English Heritage Legacy ID: 54160
Location: Somersham, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28
Civil Parish: Somersham
Built-Up Area: Somersham
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Somersham St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Ely
A mid-C19 house of two storeys.
The building is constructed of colour-washed brick, with slate roof covering.
It has a square plan with end stacks.
The principal elevation is flat-fronted with a range of three, hung sashes with glazing bars and cambered arches at first-floor. At ground floor there is one similar window and a mid-C20 shop front with glazing bars. There is a recessed wing to the right side of the building with a semi-circular headed, hung sash with glazing bars, above a carriageway entry with timber doors. The original dwelling has been extended across the entire rear elevation, probably in the mid-C19, with the roof pitch extended to create an asymmetrical profile. The rear façade has two eight-over-eight top-hung sash windows, a C20 casement at ground floor, and C20 casement windows at first floor. There is also a small C20 single-storey cross-wing to the south corner, which has a re-used sash window and C20 door. The south-eastern gable has a small semi-circular headed arch window at upper level.
The interior comprises lounge, study, dining room and kitchen at ground floor, which are accessed off a central hallway. There are fireplaces in the lounge, study and dining room and a glazed brick floor in a herringbone pattern survives in the study. A staircase at the south end of the hall leads down to a basement and up to the first floor where there are six bedrooms and a bathroom.
The earliest deeds of 1847 indicate that the building dates from the first half of the C19. It was originally built as a private dwelling house and ownership transferred at least six times during the C19. The building was extended in 1851 which gave its principal elevation its distinctive symmetry. In the 1920s the house was used as the residence of the Minister of the local Baptist Chapel and was known as the 'New Manse'. It remained in the ownership of the Baptist Chapel until the late 1920s.
The front of the building was converted to a shop between the 1930s and 50s. Two original sash windows were removed, one of them being installed in a small extension to the rear, and a large shop window was inserted at the front. In 1984 listed building consent was granted for change of use from shop back to full residential use. The building was listed at Grade ll in 1982.
50 High Street, Somersham, Cambridgeshire is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historical Interest: it is an interesting example of a mid-C19 dwelling house, that has been adapted to accommodate a shop within part of the ground floor.
* Intactness: it's overall external appearance and internal plan are largely preserved.
* Group Vanue: it has group value with 69 and 65 High Street
Other nearby listed buildings