This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.084 / 52°5'2"N
Longitude: 0.1819 / 0°10'54"E
OS Eastings: 549599
OS Northings: 245096
OS Grid: TL495450
Mapcode National: GBR MB7.BSS
Mapcode Global: VHHKQ.3WJ8
Entry Name: The Old Manor House
Listing Date: 22 November 1967
Last Amended: 17 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1330970
English Heritage Legacy ID: 52983
Location: Hinxton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB10
Civil Parish: Hinxton
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Hinxton St Mary and St John
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4845 HINXTON HIGH STREET
20/170 No. 29 (The Old
22.11.67 Manor House) (formerly
listed as The Tudor House) .
Guildhall. Late C15, converted to a manor house c.1580 with late C17 or
early C18 alterations. Timber-framed and plastered with brick plinth. Red
plain tiled roof. Late C16 ridge stack with four reduced octagonal shafts
with moulded bases; capped stack on east side to additional C17 hearth. Two
storeys with inserted late C16 or early C17 attic floor; part cellar to
east. Four equal timber-framed bays jettied originally to the north (facing
the former Red Lion square) and false jettied to west in late C16 rebuilt
gable; three brackets to corner post and brackets at each bay with remains
of carved pilasters at each post. Entrance in second bay from west with late
C16 chamfered door frame built beside fragment of original door head
in situ; boarded door. Three first floor and three ground floor casement
windows of various sizes, some in original openings with internal shutter
grooves or rebates, (three early windows include one with moulded mullions
and one with diamond mullions - C15 window in gable resited). Interior:
Originally unheated with first floor hall of four bays; three crown post
trusses with octagonal crown posts with moulded caps and bases on
hollow-chamfered cambered tie beams with curved braces, (central truss
altered for late C16 partition and inserted stack and newel staircase).
Central ground floor room with double ogee-moulded cross beams. Large
inserted stack with Renaissance red brick pedimented hearth in room to east,
perhaps originally plastered; large open hearth with chamfered mantel beam,
two brick niches and two round headed niches above. Some C16 boarded doors
and original hinges. Late C17 side purlin reconstruction of roof.
Wall paintings, noteworthy, late C16 (Rouse) in monochrome grey Italian
Renaissance designs in central room, and first floor room to east: C18
polychrome paintings in east ground floor room, and formerly in west room.
The guildhall, part of the manor of Hinxton owned by the De Veres in 1485,
Earl's Colne Priory (Essex) in 1494, was regranted to the De Veres in 1536
and sold to John Machell and later Sir James Deane's brother in 1597 who were
possibly responsible for the alterations. A manor court was held in the
courtyard by c.1600 after its conversion.
R.C.H.M. Report 1951
V.C.H., Vol. VI, p222-3
Rouse. C, Report 1963
Listing NGR: TL4959945096
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings