This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1941 / 52°11'38"N
Longitude: 0.264 / 0°15'50"E
OS Eastings: 554839
OS Northings: 257506
OS Grid: TL548575
Mapcode National: GBR M90.FJM
Mapcode Global: VHHKC.J3DW
Plus Code: 9F4257V7+JH
Entry Name: 13, Toft Lane
Listing Date: 29 August 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1331059
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51528
Location: Great Wilbraham, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21
Civil Parish: Great Wilbraham
Built-Up Area: Great Wilbraham
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Great Wilbraham St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Ely
(South East Side)
Cottage, dated 1685 in original plaster numerals to front wall.
Later alterations include addition of narrow bay to road end.
C20 fenestration and added stack. Timber framed, plastered with
steeply pitched plain tiled roof with original ridge stack part
rebuilt. End stack added C19. A good example of the typical
original lobby entry and three bay plan. Two storeys. Four
windows at first floor including a small C20 window to an
original closet opening opposite the stack and a C19 horizontal
sliding sash. The five ground floor windows are all c1980 as is
the door but the doorway is in its original location opposite
the stack. Interior: There are typical large late C17 bricks
to the abutting inglenook hearth each originally with a bread
oven suggesting an original pair of cottages. However the
absence of peg holes in the middle rail at the point opposite
the stack indicates a doorway to a lobby entry and probably an
original three bay lobby entry house for a single family. One
ground floor room has stop chamfers to main beam and hearth
lintel similar to No.79 Station Road, Fulbourn (q.v.) and St.
Martins Cottage, Apthorpe Street, Fulbourn (q:v.), dated 1661.
The framing is partly exposed and has straight downward bracing
to the gable end wall frame. The roof is of clasped side purlin
construction with carpentered rafters, but only the butt of the
purlin survives. The brickwork of the inglenooks can be
compared with the late C16 narrow red bricks in the end stack at
Lufters, No.52 Church Street (q.v.) and those of No.22 Angle End
(q.v.) dated 1741).
R.C.H.M: Record card
Listing NGR: TL5483957506
Other nearby listed buildings