This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1497 / 52°8'58"N
Longitude: 0.0502 / 0°3'0"E
OS Eastings: 540373
OS Northings: 252135
OS Grid: TL403521
Mapcode National: GBR L7Z.7JG
Mapcode Global: VHHKF.T7FD
Plus Code: 9F4243X2+V3
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 31 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1331124
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51782
Location: Haslingfield, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Haslingfield
Built-Up Area: Haslingfield
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Haslingfield All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4052 HASLINGFIELD CHURCH STREET
15/160 Church of All
Parish Church. Chancel of C12 origins, but altered in C14 which is the date
of the nave and north and south aisles. The west tower is c.1400. There are
C17, C18 alterations and a major restoration of 1875-9 by William Fawcett who
also designed the village school. Dressed clunch and limestone dressings and
repairs, and some pebblestone in the C19 chancel restoration. Tiled roofs,
the cross at the east end of the nave is original. Plan of west tower, nave,
north and south aisles and porches, chancel and vestry. West Tower, c.1400
of three stages, embattled, with octagonal pinnacles on clasping buttresses,
gargoyles to main cornice and plinth frieze of quatrefoils. West doorway of
moulded two-centred arch in square head with dagger and quatrefoil spandrel
ornament and the dripmould on small engaged shafts. Nave has block
parapetted roof with clerestorey of four windows to each side. Restored,
two-light window in ogee arches and square heads. South aisle has similar
blocked parapet and large, grotesque gargoyles to main cornice. Restored C14
fenestration with flowing tracery but original two-stage gabled buttressing.
South porch, also C14, but the roof is barrel vaulted and dated 1746 with
initials of church wardens to leading. Chancel has C14 fenestration to C12
walls, which were repaired with pebblestone in 1875-9. The east wall was
rebuilt in 1875. The vestry was also added by Fawcett. The-north aisle has
similar fenestration to that of the south aisle. Inside. Nave arcade in
five bays, nearly identical on both north and south arcades. Two-centred
arches, each of two, double hollow moulded orders with label on columns of
quatrefoil section with engaged shafts. Roof renewed c.1875-9. Chancel arch
similar to nave arcade but has nail head ornament to outer order. The
chancel windows have deep splays. The barrel shaped and boarded roof 1619 is
probably associated with the monument to Thomas and Elizabeth Wendy, and the
painted panels are of that date, restored C19. The north and south aisles
retain original C14 leanto roofs, carried on carved corbels with elaborate
tracery to the pierced spandrels. The pulpit contains C17 woodwork and the
font is C14, octagonal with modern stem and base, with a C17 font cover.
There are a number of monuments and floor slabs (see R.C.H.M. West Cambs
p.140). Particularly two wall monuments in the south wall of the
chancel to members of the Mend family.
R.C.H.M. West Cambs., mon.(1) Plates 8,18,70,82,83,94 and 95
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p403
Rev. G E Davis MS History of Haslingfield
Listing NGR: TL4037352135
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings