This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0967 / 52°5'48"N
Longitude: 0.2783 / 0°16'42"E
OS Eastings: 556162
OS Northings: 246713
OS Grid: TL561467
Mapcode National: GBR MB5.K66
Mapcode Global: VHHKR.SK0H
Entry Name: The Guildhall
Listing Date: 22 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1331166
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51909
Location: Linton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Linton
Built-Up Area: Linton
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Linton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 5646 LINTON CHURCH LANE
16/95 No. 4
22.11.67 (The Guildhall)
House formerly the Guildhall, dedicated to the Trinity. c.1523. Timber-
framed, exposed at first floor and plastered with some timber repair.
Painted brick. Late C17 ridge stack to left hand range and tall side stack
to north range. Plain tiled parallel gable roofs. Two storeys. Two
parallel east-west ranges with range to north shorter, united in east
elevation with jetty returning along south elevation. Moulded jetty
bressumer. Main range of five close studded timber-framed bays marked in
side elevation by solid curved braces springing from damaged moulded capitals
on the main posts. Original main entrance in second bay from west with
moulded wooden frame with carved spandrels forming four-centred head now
blocked by a window. Three original four-light windows and one restored
window with moulded mullions; three horizontal sliding sash first floor
windows replace original windows with one window blocked by inserted studs.
Corner post to dragon beam deeply chamfered with carved capital (qv No. 81
High Street). Two first floor C20 casement windows with lattice lights and
two ground floor three-light huny sash windows flanking six-panelled C19 door
with wooden frame. Interior: Four bays to east originally one room.
Exposed floor frames with ogee moulded beams and joists. Two doorways of
unequal width with spandrels forming four-centred arches to inner room of
west bay with blocked first floor entrance to north giving access to an
external stair. Blocked ground floor entrance in east elevation of north
range with internal doors to inner, possibly service rooms, C20 door heads
inserted in first floor partition above. Late C17 fireplaces with segmental
brick arches. Side purlin roof with curved windbraces in each bay. In 1507
Nicholas Wickham the parish priest left two marks towards making a new
guildhall, the building was nearly complete in 1523. After the suppression
of the guilds in 1547 it was used as the Town House, in 1697 it became a
Palmer, M W and Morley photographic collection. p49. 1913
V.C.H. Vol. VI, p98
Stevens, R L Linton, P.C. Pub. 1983, 'The Guildhall etc' (unpublished)
R.C.H.M. Report 1951
Listing NGR: TL5616246713
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings