History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old School

A Grade II Listed Building in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6662 / 52°39'58"N

Longitude: 0.1598 / 0°9'35"E

OS Eastings: 546152

OS Northings: 309798

OS Grid: TF461097

Mapcode National: GBR L1Q.Z2X

Mapcode Global: WHJPH.F7BV

Entry Name: Old School

Listing Date: 31 October 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1331614

English Heritage Legacy ID: 48249

Location: Wisbech, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE13

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland

Civil Parish: Wisbech

Built-Up Area: Wisbech

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Wisbech St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Wisbech

Listing Text

WISBECH HILL STREET
TF 4609
(North Side)
6/52 No. 1
(Old School)
GV II

Originally a girls school, occupying a corner position with
School Lane. Second storey added c.1850 and pediment raised
with inscription 'THIS BUILDING WAS BUILT BY THE BURGESSES OF
WISBECH A.D. 1814 SUPPORTED BY THE BEQUEST OF MRS. WRIGHT AND
THE BENEFACTIONS OF ABRAHAM JOBSON D.D., JOHN EDES, ESQ., AND
OTHERS, AIDED BY VOLUNTRAY SUBSCRIPTIONS'. Seven 'bays' to Hill
Street with central three 'bays' slightly projecting. Local
brown brick, rendered plinth, stone impost band and first floor
band, moulded stone cornice and pediment with cross-keys in
relief in tympanum. Brick parapet with stone coping. First
floor hung sash windows with glazing bars in double recessed
segmental-headed arches. Ground floor windows with radial
glazing bars, shaped to round-headed double recessed arches.
Two original entrances in School Lane in round-headed arches
with fanlights and six-panelled door (one doorway now blocked).
Walker and Craddock, p.413, History of Wisbech, 1849.
Gardiner, p.234, History of Wisbech, 1898.
Pevsner, Buildings in England, p.498.
A.P. Peckover, Watercolour of School, 1850.
T.S. Watson, History of Wisbech, p.189, 1849


Listing NGR: TF4615209798

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.