History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gates, gate piers and railings of the Cambridge Judge Business School fronting Trumpington Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1998 / 52°11'59"N

Longitude: 0.121 / 0°7'15"E

OS Eastings: 545049

OS Northings: 257844

OS Grid: TL450578

Mapcode National: GBR L7H.1DD

Mapcode Global: VHHK3.1ZT1

Plus Code: 9F4254XC+W9

Entry Name: Gates, gate piers and railings of the Cambridge Judge Business School fronting Trumpington Street

Listing Date: 2 November 1972

Last Amended: 18 April 2018

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1331902

English Heritage Legacy ID: 47848

Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2

County: Cambridgeshire

Electoral Ward/Division: Market

Built-Up Area: Cambridge

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Benedict

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Cambridge

Summary


Cast-iron railings, wrought-iron gates, and rusticated stone gate piers of the former Addenbrooke’s Hospital, now the Cambridge Judge Business School, constructed in the mid-C18, and altered in the C19 and late C20.

Description

Cast-iron railings, wrought-iron gates, and rusticated stone gate piers of the former Addenbrooke’s Hospital, now the Cambridge Judge Business School, constructed in the mid-C18, and altered in the C19 and late C20.
PLAN: the gate stands directly west of the entrance of the former Addenbrooke’s Hospital (now the Cambridge Judge Business School), with square-plan gate piers, and railings in two curved sections extending north-west and south-east of the central gate piers, with two piers to the north-west end.
MATERIALS: Cast-iron railings, brick plinth wall (rebuilt around 1995) with stone coping, wrought-iron gates and overthrow, and rusticated stone gate piers.
EXTERIOR: the double-leaf wrought-iron gates have a scrolled overthrow, with a central panel to the top rail bearing the painted name of the ‘JUDGE BUSINESS SCHOOL’, flanked by the coats of arms of the University (left) and Judge family (right). The gates are flanked by square-plan rusticated stone piers, and by curved sections of cast-iron railings to the north-west and south-east. The railings stand on a low brick plinth wall (rebuilt around 1995), with stone coping, and vase finials to the main stanchions. The north-west section of railings is terminated by a rusticated stone pier, with another gate pier and short section of railings to the north-west attached to 26 Trumpington Street. The south-east section of railings curves to adjoin the front elevation of the former outpatients building (built around 1920, now Brown’s).

History

Addenbrooke’s Hospital took its name from John Addenbrooke (1680-1719), a medical graduate of St Catherine’s College, who on his death, left a little over £4,500 in his will for the purpose of founding a small hospital for the poor of Cambridge. A site was purchased on the periphery of the city, on the east side of Trumpington Street in 1728, and neighbouring properties and parcels of land were acquired piecemeal over the following decades. Building work commenced around 1740 and was completed in 1766, providing 20 hospital beds. A drawing depicting the hospital in around 1810 shows a five-bay, two-storey building over a basement, bounded to Trumpington Street by cast-iron railings on a low plinth wall, two square-plan rusticated gate piers, and wrought-iron gates with an overthrow. The hospital building was extended around 1825 to the designs of Charles Humphrey, and completely re-fronted in 1865 to the designs of Matthew Digby Wyatt. A new Addenbrooke’s Hospital was constructed off the south end of Hills Road in 1962, and the last patient left the old hospital site in 1984. The gates, gate piers and railings of the old Addenbrooke’s Hospital were listed in 1972, and the former hospital building was listed in 1986. The vacant building was altered and extended for the Judge Institute of Management Studies between 1993 and 1995 to the designs of John Outram.

Comparison of historic drawings and photographs suggests the gates were widened in the C19, possibly at the time of the first extension by Charles Humphrey around 1825. The south section of the railings was shortened by the construction of the outpatient building (now Brown’s) around 1920. A gate lodge was added to the interior of the south railings around 1930, with a pedestrian gate breaking through the railings to Trumpington Street. The main gate was also altered at this time: the side panels of the overthrow were lowered; and the central bar of the overthrow was divided so it would open with the below newly attached gates. It appears the north end of the north railings and north piers may have been altered when the office of the Maintenance Fund (now 26 Trumpington Street) was constructed in 1933. A metal plaque was added between the top rail and overthrow of the gate around 1995 with the name ‘Judge Management Institute’, and was later changed to read ‘Judge Business School’ when the school rebranded around 2006. It appears the plinth walls of the railings were also rebuilt with grey brick around 1995.

Reasons for Listing

The gates, gate piers and railings of the former Addenbrookjes Hopsital, now the Cambridge Judge Business School, constructed in the mid-C18 for Addenbrooke’s Hospital, and altered in the C19 and late C20, are listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
Architectural interest:
* for the fine quality of craftsmanship and materials employed in their construction;
Historic interest:
* for the historic function of the gates, gate piers, and railings as the boundary of the former Addenbrooke’s Hospital (now the Cambridge Judge Business School) fronting Trumpington Street;
Group value:
* for the strong group value the gates, gate piers and railings hold with a number of highly-graded listed university buildings, including the Cambridge Judge Business School (listed at Grade II*), and the nearby Fitzwilliam Museum (listed at Grade I).

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.