This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5955 / 51°35'43"N
Longitude: -0.8003 / 0°48'1"W
OS Eastings: 483198
OS Northings: 189195
OS Grid: SU831891
Mapcode National: GBR D5G.VWX
Mapcode Global: VHDWB.25S7
Entry Name: Widmere Farmhouse
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1332119
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46934
Location: Great Marlow, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, SL7
Civil Parish: Great Marlow
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Great Marlow with Marlow Bottom, Little Marlow and Bisham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
GREAT MARLOW WIDMERE
SU 88 NW
4/50 Widmere Farmhouse
House, incorporating former chapel. Chapel is early C13 with traces of
C14 windows and later alterations; house is late C17-early C18, raised and
altered early C19, with C20 extension, the whole forming a T-plan.
House is of flint with narrow brick dressings and narrow first floor band
course; raised attic storey of brick with band course and off-set eaves;
slightly mansard half-hipped roof with brick chimneys. 2 storeys and
attic, 3 bays. Left bay is gabled to front and has C20 projecting 2-storey
extension. Centre bay has 4-pane sash with gauged head to ground floor,
and 4-light wooden casement above. Larger 3-light wooden casements with
single horizontal glazing bars to right bay. Attic has small blocked window
between right bays over lobby entry. Flush-panelled door, top-lit, with
c.1900 gabled porch of coursed chalk and brick, with bargeboards. "Chapel
to rear, is of chalk rubble, rendered and whitewashed, with tiled roof.
S.E. side has 3 C14 2-light windows with remains of tracery, mostly
blocked. Left window has one later leaded light; centre window has board
door and flap to crypt; right window has C20 door. Cl9 flush-panelled door to
left with rectangular fanlight and flat wooden cornice hood on shaped
brackets. N.E. gable has moulded mandorla, and arched head of wide blocked
window. 2 blocked lancets to N.W. side. Interior: chapel has fine
crypt with vaults on semi-circular wall shafts and central row of 3
cylindrical piers. Piers have small octagonal capitals. Arches supporting
vaults are segmental and double-chamfered. Upper part of chapel has inserted
floor and roof with coupled rafters and braced collars.
RCHM I p. 169 Mon. 3.
Listing NGR: SU8319889195
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings