This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2053 / 52°12'19"N
Longitude: 0.122 / 0°7'19"E
OS Eastings: 545099
OS Northings: 258462
OS Grid: TL450584
Mapcode National: GBR L79.MNG
Mapcode Global: VHHK3.2TBS
Plus Code: 9F42644C+4Q
Entry Name: Christ's College, the Buildings Surrounding Entrance Court, with the South East Range of Second Court
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1332166
English Heritage Legacy ID: 47099
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2
Electoral Ward/Division: Market
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Holy Trinity Cambridge
Church of England Diocese: Ely
The Buildings surrounding
Entrance Court, with the
South-East range of
TL 4558 NW 4/244
TL 4558 SW 7/244 26.4.50.
West Range with the Gatehouse. Part of the Founder's buildings of the
early C16. Elaborate coat-of-arms of the Foundress over gate. Refaced
in Ketton stone on the west by Robert Grumbold 1714, on the east by James
Essex, 1760-1. Original interior features, and many of the C18. The Library
at the south end of the range was extended and modernised by Bodley and
North Range and Chapel. Early Cl6, refaced in 1766 by James Essex. Chapel
is of 1510-11, refitted in the early C18 by Robert Grumbold and restored
by Bodley and Garner in 1899. The cupola was added in 1722. The timber
ceiling is original. The Ante-chapel has an C18 roof and C16 panelling.
Organ 1705. Lectern early C16. Reredos 1702-3 by John Austin, Glass
East Range with Hall. Early C16, also refronted by Essex. Interior features
of all periods. The Hall was rebuilt by G G Scott 1876-79 using an C18
cupola and various older fittings. The Master's Lodge was refronted 1769-70
and restored in 1911; the elaborate oriel window was reusued by Essex.
South Range. As others. Refaced in 1758. Good original and C18 internal
features with much panelling.
South-east Range of Second Court. 1823, in the Tudor style, extended 1867.
Architect unknown. Brick, faced with Roman cement. 3 storeys.
The Lecture Room. Built between 1875-9. Contains fine bolection moulded
panelling of 1723.
Gateway to Master's Lodge. From Hobson Street. C16. Red brick with a
4-centred arch. (All buildings described fully in RCHM).
Listing NGR: TL4509958461
Other nearby listed buildings