History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Webbery Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Alverdiscott, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0137 / 51°0'49"N

Longitude: -4.1354 / 4°8'7"W

OS Eastings: 250300

OS Northings: 125989

OS Grid: SS503259

Mapcode National: GBR KM.JJ5Q

Mapcode Global: FRA 267F.LQ6

Entry Name: Webbery Manor

Listing Date: 19 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1333143

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91347

Location: Alverdiscott, Torridge, Devon, EX39

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Alverdiscott

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Alverdiscott All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Westleigh

Listing Text

ALVERDISCOTT WEBBERY
SS52NW
4/30 Webbery Manor
II
House. Built 1821-6 for John Cutcliffe. Colourwashed stucco
over coursed slatestone rubble. Gabled slate roof with
overhanging eaves, and early C19 gutter to front; rendered brick
stacks. Regency Tudor style. Triple-depth plan, enclosing 3
sides of cobbled yard to rear. 2 storeys; 4-window range has
porch to centre of symmetrical 3-window range to left of 2-storey
canted bay to right. Porch has moulded Tudor-style doorways with
depressed arches and sunk spandrels to early C19 panelled and
studded outer door and half-glazed inner door with glazing bars:
exterior of porch has frieze of blank shields set in revealed
panels. Label moulds over early C19 three-light wood-mullioned
and transomed windows with glazing bars set in chamfered
architraves; two C20 two-light windows to top right. Canted bay
to right has label moulds with pendant stops over deep 2-light
moulded wood-mullioned and transomed windows with glazing bars
set in chamfered architraves. Right side wall has similar
one-storey bay window. Left side wall has canted bay window with
frieze of blank shields set in revealed panels. Courtyard to
rear has Tudor-style doorway to former chapel on left-hand side.
Interior: early C19 Tudor-style panelled doors and shutters
throughout. Central hall to front and parlour to left have
Tudor-style fireplaces. Stair-hall to rear of hall has early C19
dog-leg with landing staircase with turned balusters and wreathed
handrail. To right of hall, room to front has marble
classical-style fireplace with blank shields to frieze, and room
to rear has Tudor-style fireplace and decorative plasterwork to
ceiling. First floor noted as having similar Tudor-style
fireplaces with cast-iron grates. History: built for John
Cutcliffe (1778-1827), a former Lieutenant-Colonel in Arms, and
in 1847 described in a "Times" advertisement as "suited for a
large and genteel family, near post towns, and within a few hours
drive of the railway now completed"
(Information from local historian).


Listing NGR: SS5030025989

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.