History in Structure

The Parish Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Poltimore, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.7618 / 50°45'42"N

Longitude: -3.4675 / 3°28'2"W

OS Eastings: 296596

OS Northings: 96832

OS Grid: SX965968

Mapcode National: GBR P2.CK27

Mapcode Global: FRA 37M2.GXK

Plus Code: 9C2RQG6M+P2

Entry Name: The Parish Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 30 June 1961

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1333257

English Heritage Legacy ID: 88474

ID on this website: 101333257

Location: St Marys Church, Poltimore, East Devon, EX4

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Poltimore

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Poltimore with Huxham

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in



5/161 The Parish Church of
- St Mary

Parish church. Mainly late C15 built by William Bampfylde; the base of the tower
may be earlier. Much repair and replacement in the late C16 and C17. North
porch looks C17. Upper stage of tower late, possibly 1723 (date of bells).
Restorations in 1840, 1868-9. Major restoration and addition of south aisle and
clerestory windows in 1883-4 by R M Fulford. Coursed volcanic trap rubble with
some Ham Hill and Beer stone dressing; dry slate roof. Exteriors: Tower of 2
stages; disturbed masonry at north west corner square suggests that the lower
stage might precede the late C15 rebuilding. Ogee-headed lancet to south,
trefoil-headed lancet to north; west doorway with hoodmould under squat 2-light
window; door itself, 6 fielded panels and anchor-shaped hinges, C18. Single-
light belfry openings; relieving arches over all windows except top stage which
oversails and is battlemented. Nave, north side : Porch, possibly C17 with
moulded round-headed arch and C18 planked gate. Tall, square-headed 2-light
window to right, each light cusped, late C15. 6 clerestory windows (to south
also), of 1883-4 by Fulford replacing 3 earlier windows. C19 battlementing.
North transept: 2-light pointed window to north, trefoil-headed lights with
quatre-foil in apex. 2-light, square-headed window to east (as nave). Moulded
string-course below plain parapet. Chancel: C19 2-light window, and one blocked
square-headed C15 lancet to north; C19 3-light east window; 2 wide cusped
lancets to south, 2-light C19 window; Priests doorway with 2 panel door;
buttressing of 1883-4. South transept: two 2-light square-headed windows to
south and east, C15. Battlemented. South aisle: by Fulford but retaining 2-
light, square-headed window (S) and trefoil-headed lancet (west) from former nave
south wall.
Interior: Fabric: tall, plain arches to chancel and transepts look to be of the
same date, possibly late C15; chancel arch chamfered with pyramid stops.
Unchamfered tower arch. Hagioscopes to either side of chancel arch (revealed,
1883-4). Trefoil-headed piscina, south wall of sanctuary. Multifoil-headed
(damaged) piscina/cambrey (with shelf) to both north and south transepts, east
wall. Good late C15 stone angel corbels: half-figures to nave bearing shields,
except those to east and west which play instruments; some ancient colour
survives. Four full figures in each transept, also bearing shields, but no
longer supporting the present roof. Nave corbels support contemporary moulded
timber wall shafts, but the roof is late C16 or C17 (cutting across apex of
chancel arch) : 6 bays, almost flat, ceiled; principals with cyma recta mouldings
and run-out stops with bar. Same moulding to wall plate. Chancel roof a C19
copy of that to nave. R M Fulford's work : of high quality. 2-bay nave arcade
treated in different coloured stones. 6 clerestory windows with contemporary
glass of angels with instruments. Chancel : 3-bay sedilia to north, each bay
with depressed arch and heavily corbelled shafts; south door under segmental arch
which joins up with window recess immediately west.
Fittings: Font: Simple cylindrical tub with double bead moulding. Screen: circa
1520-30, extensively restored 1883-4 by Harry Hems. 4-bays and central entrance
bay; bay to extreme right wider than the others and the only intact original; 4-
light Perpendicular tracery panels to each bay, with coving containing
Renaissance detailing (medallions containing stylised foliage motifs); cornice
of 2 orders (cf Kentisbeare, Plymtree); C19 cresting. C16 door to tower stairs,
chamfered muntins. Bampfylde Gallery, C18 (south transept) : front of 3 bays
with fielded panels with fluted pilasters and dentils. Plaster panelled ceiling
with big floriated bosses. Gallery reached by (formerly external?) stairs.
Reredos: 3 bays, polished marble (Fulford) with tiled panel to each side
containing painted angels that look circa 1840.
Monuments: Tomb slabs (1) chancel, to John and Agnes Bampfylde, dated 1390, but
see end note. (2) nave, to John Bampfylde, d.1650. South transept, south wall:
the major monument of the church, of good workmanship, and a very architectural
design; to Richard and Elizabeth Bampfylde, erected by their son in 1604; tomb
chest (5 bays of strapwork to front, 2 to sides) with Tuscan pilasters,
supporting an arcaded canopy, 2 rusticated arches to all free sides, crowned with
architrave and epitaph with scrolled brackets; shields and strapwork to rear
wall. Effigies lie side by side, he wears armour, his feet on a dog, her feet
rest on a ram. Chancel, north wall, mural monument to Charlotte Buller, d.1829
at Rome, by R J Wyatt, dated Rome 1831: deathbed scene with attendant women in
half relief. Chancel north wall, cartouche to Joan Bradford, d. 1731.
Chancel, south wall, plaque with urn, to Anne Bradford, d.1787. Glass.
Fragment, torso of Christ, C15 in sanctuary south window. Note on
dating: the tomb in chancel to John and Agnes Bampfylde is dated 1390.
They are described (in Latin) as the parents of William Bampfylde who
built the church and erected the great bell. Stylistically the medieval
work is of the late C15. William Bampfylde was alive in the mid-1450s.
The slab was recut in 1840, and the date may be an error for 1490; the
marriage connection indicated in the arms is that of an alliance 2
generations after 1390. References: (short titles), John Stabbs, Some
Devon Churches, II, pp 138-9, plate 128; B Cresswell, Deanery of
Aylesbeare; F Bligh Bond and B Camm, Roodscreens and Roodlofts, II,
plate 91, p.343; Pevsner SD, p.247 ; Dr Fortescue- Ffoulkes, A Short
History of Poltimore, (reprinted 1976). Devon C19 Churches Project.

Listing NGR: SX9659596833

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.