History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Giles

A Grade II* Listed Building in Northleigh, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7568 / 50°45'24"N

Longitude: -3.1415 / 3°8'29"W

OS Eastings: 319579

OS Northings: 95871

OS Grid: SY195958

Mapcode National: GBR PC.2PBP

Mapcode Global: FRA 4792.XL3

Entry Name: Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1333285

English Heritage Legacy ID: 88766

Location: Northleigh, East Devon, Devon, EX24

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Northleigh

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Northleigh St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Northleigh

Listing Text



SY 19 NE
3/96
22.2.55

NORTHLEIGH
NORTHLEIGH
Church of St Giles

GV
II*

Parish church. Norman origins, C14 and late C15 - early C16, restored in 1858 and
1869. Local stone and flint rubble; Beerstone ashlar dressings, quoins and detail;
slate roof.
Plan: small church. Nave with narrower and lower chancel includes remains of a
Norman door but is probably mostly C14, C19 south porch. The north aisle with
chapel is probably late C15 - early C16 although some of the windows have been
restored in the Decorated style. The vestry off the north side of the chapel is
C19. The west tower is late C15 - early C16 although some of the windows have been
restored in the Decorated style. The vestry off the north side of the chapel is
C19. The west tower is late C15 - early C16.
Exterior: west tower of 2 stages with low diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet
and semi-octagonal stair turret projecting from the north side. 2-light cinquefoil-
head belfry windows. The west doorway is a 2-centred arch with moulded surround and
above it a 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery and plain hoodmoulds. At the
left (west) end of the south side of the nave is the south porch; it is gabled with
a 2-centred outer arch and moulded surround and directly above is a tiny 2-light
window with trefoil heads. The south doorway behind is a much-restored Norman arch
with half-engaged piers and one scalloped capital and the other with volutes.
Inside it is a plain C19 round-headed doorway. The windows on the south of the nave
and chancel and north of the aisle are C19 replacements with Decorated tracery and
hoodmoulds with carved foliage label stops to nave and chancel and human head label
stops to the aisle. The nave has two 2-light windows, the chancel has 2 lancet
windows and a large 3-light version in the east end and the aisle has four 2-light
windows. Each end of the north aisle has a 3-light window with Perpendicular
tracery.
Interior: the nave, chancel and aisle have C19 open arch-braced truss roofs; the
chancel roof with painted decoration. Tall tower arch with moulded surround. The
chancel arch has a moulded surround and trefoil-headed panels on its soffit and
jambs. The 3-bay arcade has low moulded piers (Pevsner's type A) and carved foliage
capitals. A fourth arch (between chancel and north chapel) is like the chancel
arch. The floor has a chequer pattern of C19 tiles. The walls are plastered. The
image niche in the north wall may be original.
C19 reredos is a blind arcade in Gothic style. C19 altar table. C20 altar rail in
Gothic style. C19 Gothic style choir stalls. Restored C15 oak 3-bay chancel screen
has linenfold panelled wainscotting, Perpendicular tracery (Pevsner's type B), coved
head with Gothic decoration and undercut frieze and crest. There is a plainer
version to the north chapel. The chapel has an original piscina and C17 altar
table. Good C17 oak octagonal drum pulpit with panelled sides carved as a blind
arcade with flowers and a frieze carved with acanthus leaves and scrolls. C20
lectern and C19 Gothic prayer desk. Oak benches with a very good and nearly
complete set of late C15 - early C16 carved bench ends; wreathed foliage frames and
most carvings are based on Perpendicular tracery with various enrichments such as
heraldic devices. The bench frontals have linenfold panelling. The Beerstone font
is Norman but has been heavily retooled.
No memorials of more than local interest. East window of the chapel contains C15
stained glass depicting St Giles flanked by St Peter and St Paul. Other windows
contain C19 stained glass.

Listing NGR: SY1957995871

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.