This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8836 / 50°53'1"N
Longitude: -3.143 / 3°8'34"W
OS Eastings: 319692
OS Northings: 109969
OS Grid: ST196099
Mapcode National: GBR LZ.SPKX
Mapcode Global: FRA 469R.WXQ
Plus Code: 9C2RVVM4+CR
Entry Name: Newhouse Baptist Church
Listing Date: 16 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1333684
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86665
Location: Upottery, East Devon, Devon, EX14
Civil Parish: Upottery
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Upottery St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 10 NE
6/110 Newhouse Baptist Church
Baptist church, considered the mother church of the district. Founded 1652, rebuilt
1859 with schoolroom added in 1912. The chapel is plastered local stone and flint
rubble with Membury stone ashlar detail, the schoolroom is exposed local stone and
flint rubble with brick dressings; slate roof.
Plan: small chapel on north-south axis with preaching desk at the north end and
gallery at the south end. Also south porch. The school room extension projects at
right angles from the north end of the rear (east) side.
Exterior: the west side has a 3-window front of tall lancet windows containing
diamond panes of leaded glass. Tile roof is gable-ended with shaped kneelers, coping
and ball finials. The south end is the entrance front and there is a central gabled
porch (with shaped kneelers, coping and ball finials like those of the main roof)
and it has a 2-centred outer arch. Another 2-centred arch to the south doorway
behind. This porch is flanked by lancet windows and there is another over the
porch. In the gable there is a stone plaque inscribed "This Baptist Chapel was
founded in the year 1652 in the time of the Five Mile Act. Chapel rebuilt in 1859."
The schoolroom also has tall lancet windows but these have Y-tracery glazing bars.
Interior: of the church is complete as built in 1859. There is a 4-bay roof of
king post trusses. The box pews, the rostrum, the gallery supported on octagonal
posts are all original and so too are the 4 ornate wrought iron hanging lamps (now
converted to electricity).
Newhouse is an attractive and remarkably intact Baptist Church of 1859.
Nevertheless it is more important for its history. The church was founded as a
Particular and Calvanistic Baptist Church in 1652 although it is believed that
Baptists had been worshipping in the area for some years (choosing a place near the
borders of three counties and five parishes to avoid persecution). The early
church documents apparently record early worshippers from Tiverton, Exeter, Honiton,
Wellington and Taunton. The site is supposed to have been the gift of Nicholas
Code from nearby Moonhayes Farmhouse (q.v) and whose monument (q.v) is in the
burial ground adjoining.
Source: Church guide. C. Stell Inventory of Non-Conformist Chapels RCHM
Listing NGR: ST1969209969
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings