This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7791 / 50°46'44"N
Longitude: -3.2296 / 3°13'46"W
OS Eastings: 313408
OS Northings: 98446
OS Grid: SY134984
Mapcode National: GBR P8.Q9GL
Mapcode Global: FRA 4731.5LW
Plus Code: 9C2RQQHC+J5
Entry Name: 3 and 4 Beaumont Cottages
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1333789
English Heritage Legacy ID: 87157
Location: Gittisham, East Devon, Devon, EX14
Civil Parish: Gittisham
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Gittisham St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
GITTISHAM GITTISHAM (north side)
SY 19 NV
7/155 Nos 3 and 4 Beaumont Cottages
2 adjoining estate cottages. Late C16 origins, originally part of the Beaumont
charity, derived from a legacy of £800 left by Henry Beaumont of Combe House, who
died in 1590. The cottages were sold later and land was purchased from which
pensions are still paid. Stone rubble, rendered below the eaves; thatched roof with
plain ridge, gabled at the right end; right end stack and axial stack.
Plan: Sited to the rear of and parallel to Nos 1 and 2 Beaumont Cottages with a small
courtyard between. A single depth range, at one time 3 cottages, 2 cottages at time
of survey (1988). No 4 is a single cell plan with one heated room with a winder
stair adjacent to the stack, a small service room has been created at the rear by an
inserted partition. No 3 is presumably 2 rooms on plan and retains 2 front doors.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 6 window front the eaves thatch eyebrowed over the
2 right hand first floor windows. 3 doors, to the left, right and centre, all late
C19/C20; 2- and 3-light C19 or early C20 casements with glazing bars.
Interior: No 4 inspected. Interior retains a deeply-chamfered step-stopped
crossbeam, a partly blocked fireplace retaining an early timber lintel and a winder
stair adjacent to the stack.
Roof: The right hand truss is an 'A' frame, presumably a replacement as the left hand
truss is a side-pegged jointed cruck truss. No access to the apex of the roof. No 3
is likely to retain good carpentry details and an early roof. These cottages form a
very good group round a courtyard with Nos 1 and 2 (q.v.), and make an important
contribution to a outstanding estate village which was described by Polwhele in 1790
as "esteemed the cleanliest in the country. It is not large but consists of many
trim cottages; and the people are remarkably neat in their houses and in themselves".
Polwhele, R. History of Devonshire, f.p. 1793, vol. II, p. 322.
Listing NGR: SY1340898446
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings