History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Southernhay

A Grade II Listed Building in Kingskerswell, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4975 / 50°29'50"N

Longitude: -3.5764 / 3°34'35"W

OS Eastings: 288286

OS Northings: 67596

OS Grid: SX882675

Mapcode National: GBR QS.G4RJ

Mapcode Global: FRA 37DR.2J4

Entry Name: Southernhay

Listing Date: 23 August 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1334151

English Heritage Legacy ID: 84895

Location: Kingskerswell, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Kingskerswell

Built-Up Area: Kingskerswell

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Kingskerswell St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Kingskerswell

Listing Text

SX 86 NE KINGSKERSWELL SOUTHEY LANE, Kingskerswell
3/184 No. 1 Southernhay
-
23.8.55
GV II
House. 1830-1838 with late C19 extension. Stucco walls with gable ended asbestos
slate roof. Rendered brick gable end stacks.
Double depth plan with central entrance hall and stairwell, 2 principal heated rooms
at the front and service rooms to rear. 1-room addition added at right-hand end in
later C19.
2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window front to original house of contemporary 12-pane
hornless sashes. Large central porch with entablature with moulded cornice and
Doric columns with pilasters behind. Probably C20 panelled door in original arched
architrave with intersecting glazing bars in fanlight and castellated cornice.
Panelled reveals to doorcase. Lower later C19 addition at right-hand end has Gothic
arched doorway to right and contemporary 12-pane sash above with later 4-pane sash
to its left. At left gable end on top floor is Diocletian window.
Interior: original open-well staircase survives with stick balusters curtail step
and wreathed handrail. Simple moulded cornice in entrance hall. Some original
panelled doors survive on ground floor. It is likely that other original
plasterwork and joinery may be preserved.
In 1830 the building site was bought by John Stooke and by 1838 a house on the site
was owned by Mary Stooke.
Source: Devon Sites and Monuments Register.


Listing NGR: SX8828667596

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.