History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

(Pitt House) Including Stable Range Adjoining North

A Grade II* Listed Building in Moretonhampstead, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6617 / 50°39'42"N

Longitude: -3.7665 / 3°45'59"W

OS Eastings: 275245

OS Northings: 86156

OS Grid: SX752861

Mapcode National: GBR QG.KQ3W

Mapcode Global: FRA 370B.6GL

Entry Name: (Pitt House) Including Stable Range Adjoining North

Listing Date: 23 August 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1334202

English Heritage Legacy ID: 85076

Location: Moretonhampstead, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Moretonhampstead

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Moretonhampstead St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Moretonhampstead

Listing Text

MORETONHAMPSTEAD FORD STREET (north side),
SX 7586
Moretonhampstead
8/143 No. 48,( Pitt House)including
-
23.8.55 stable range adjcining north
GV II*

House. Circa 1700 probably remodelling of an earlier house with further
modifications in circa late C18. Dressed granite, brought to course, rendered at
ends and at rear. Steeply pitched dry slate roof with gabled end, black-glazed
ridge tiles and plastered coved eaves cornice. Rendered granite stacks with
moulded granite caps and thatch weatherings; one at either gable end, the right-
hand (east) stack slightly projecting with set; and an axial third stack to right
of centre on ridge. The original house was probably a 3-room-and-through-passage
plan with the lower end to right heated by gable end stack, the hall with axial
stack backing onto the passage and inner room at higher left end heated by a gable
end stack. In circa 1700 the house was heavily remodelled, if not rebuilt,
retaining the passage, and reorientating so that the lower (right) room became the
parlour and the former inner room to left became the kitchen. It was probably at
this time that the stair tower was built at the rear of the hall and a dairy wing
at the rear of the kitchen. At this stage the house stall had interconnecting
rooms but in circa late C18 a longitudinal passage, in an outshut, was built at the
rear, which provided independent access from the hall and parlour via the cross
passage which lead to the new rear passage which in turn gave access to the
kitchen, dairy and side entrance. A curious feature of the plan is the 2-storey
canted bay at the rear of the right-hand end which was probably part of the circa
1700 remodelling. Internally it forms a large alcove and increases the size of
both the ground and first floor rooms at this end. In C19 rear leantos were added
filling the spaces between this bay and the stair tower and between the stair tower
and the dairy wing.
2 storeys and attic. Closely spaced 7-window front, symmetrical except for doorway
which is in bay to right of centre. Original window openings with late C19 or C20
4-pane sashes. Doorway to right of centre with wooden Tuscan doorcase with engaged
columns and heavy entablature. Original door with fielded panels, middle panels
are smaller.
Rear: central 2-storey stair tower with hipped roof and large square-headed window
opening with later frame. 2 storey canted bay to left with raking roof continued
down from main roof, and with later casement, which is blocked below cill. To
right a 2-storey service wing with hipped slate roof. The circa late C18 leanto
passage outshut is 2 storeys to right of stair tower and single storey to left, and
is now enclosed within C20 leantos either side of the stair tower. Attached to the
end of the dairy wing to right is a probably late C18 stables with hay-loft above;
granite rubble ground floor, possibly originally open-fronted timber-frame first
floor now plastered, and facing yard behind the house.
Interior: most of the C18 internal joinery survives. Former hall, to left of cross
passage has dado with fielded and bolection moulded panelling, bolection moulded
chimneypiece, plastered inside fireplace and with bolection moulded overmantel
panel above and flanking panelled cupboards, the right-hand cupboard with rounded
head and later glazed doors. This room and left-hand end room, the kitchen has
cyma recta moulded ceiling cornice. Of the C18 staircase only the top flight from
first floor to attic survives. It is a dog-leg with closed string, square newels,
turned balusters and heavy square hand rail with moulded capping. The top
balustrade in the attic and the balustrade on landing in front of stair window has
serpentine splat balusters. Moulded plaster ceiling cornices in first floor rooms
which have C18 doors with 2 fielded panels. Most of the front windows have fielded
panel internal shutters.
The roof over the main range has been entirely replaced probably in C20 with soft
wood trusses. Only the stair tower roof survives and the roof over the rear
service wing which has trusses with morticed apexes and collars lapped on the faces
of the principals with square pegs.
Pitt House illustrates well the development of the traditional plan to provide the
improved accommodation expected by the late C17 and early C18. Substantial houses
of this period are uncommon in Devon and Pitt House is very intact both internally
and externally. The rear elevation is an important as the well proportioned front
because it shows clearly the evolution of this interesting house.


Listing NGR: SX7524386158

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.