This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8637 / 52°51'49"N
Longitude: -1.6551 / 1°39'18"W
OS Eastings: 423314
OS Northings: 329633
OS Grid: SK233296
Mapcode National: GBR 5D2.GCC
Mapcode Global: WHCFZ.K81Z
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 19 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1334544
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82684
Location: Marston on Dove, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE65
District: South Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Marston on Dove
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Marston-on-Dove St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 22 NW PARISH OF MARTSON ON DOVE HATTON LANE
4/31 (South Side)
19.1.67 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C13, early C14, C15, restored C19. Sandstone
ashlar and Welsh slate roofs with stone coped gables. West
tower and spire, aisled nave with south porch and chancel.
Early C14 west tower of two unequal stages. Angle buttresses
with three set-offs. Ground stage to the west has a Dec Style
2-light C19 window. Upper stage has on three sides a deeply
set, almost round-arched window of three chamfered orders.
2-light bell openings to all four faces, with single
reticulation unit and a transom. The east bell opening partly
obscured by a clock face. Plain parapet and octagonal stone
spire with three tiers of lucarnes. Three bay C14 south aisle,
the bays divided by gableted buttresses with two set-offs.
Chamfered plinth. Westernmost bay has a gabled C20 porch with
Tudor arch. To the east two 2-light windows with flowing
tracery and hoodmoulds. South aisle east window of 3-lights
with reticulated tracery, similar 2-light west window.
Continuous roof over nave and south aisle. The north aisle was
rebuilt in the C15 and has two tiers of square headed 2-light
windows with cusped ogee arches and returned hoodmoulds. Two
below and two above. The westernmost bay is C19 and has a
single chamfered doorway and a 3-light window above in the same
style as the other windows. Four low buttresses. North aisle
east window is similar and of 2-lights. Flush panelled north
door. C13 chancel with three tall lancets to north and south
and on the south side a priest's doorway of two slightly
chamfered orders, the outer order with colonnettes. Hoodmould.
Angle buttresses at the east end. C20 east window of three
stepped lancets set high up. The interior has a triple
chamfered tower arch dying into the imposts. Two-bay north and
three bay south arcades with quatrefoil piers, moulded capitals
and double chamfered arches. Reset cusped tomb recess (north
aisle). Cusped ogee piscina (south aisle). Plain deep circular
font, possible Cll. In the tracery lights of the north aisle
windows are fragments of C15 stained glass. Wall tablet
(chancel south) c1669 to John and Thomas Woolley. Pedimented
with cherubs, and drapery down the sides. In the north aisle,
painted arms of George III dated 1816. C18 organ case (north
aisle) with fluted pilasters and raised and fielded panels.
Said to have come from Sudbury Hall. The church has a bell cast
in 1366 by John of Stafford.
Listing NGR: SK2331029632
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings