This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8475 / 52°50'50"N
Longitude: -1.6042 / 1°36'14"W
OS Eastings: 426755
OS Northings: 327849
OS Grid: SK267278
Mapcode National: GBR 5DB.H85
Mapcode Global: WHCG0.BPCD
Entry Name: Church of St Wilfrid
Listing Date: 19 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1334567
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82697
Location: Egginton, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE65
District: South Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Egginton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Egginton St Wilfrid
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 22 NE; 2/11
PARISH OF EGGINTON,
CHURCH ROAD (South Side)
Church of St Wilfrid
Parish church. c1300, C15, C16, C17. Restoration 1891 by Evans &
Jolly. Coursed, squared sandstone with sandstone dressings.
Lead and plain tile roofs, stone coped gables. Chamfered
plinth. West tower, nave with aisles, chancel and north vestry.
West tower of three stages divided by chamfered string courses.
Diagonal buttresses to west with five set offs. Battlements,
gargoyles and four plain pinnacles. The west elevation has a
blocked pointed arched doorway with impost blocks. Three-light Perp
window above with cusped tracery. Staircase in the south-west
angle has an arrow slit window to west and south. The south
side also has a small square opening. The north side has a C20
brick lean-to boiler house not of special interest, and a small
rectangular opening. Two-light bell openings with cusped
Y-tracery, in each direction. Lean-to south aisle has a west
window of three plain arched lights, probably C16. The south
aisle has angle buttresses, and to the south side a C14 doorway
with deeply moulded arch and hoodmould on head stops. To the
right a C16 4-light window of plain four-centred arched lights,
then a C17 3-light recessed and chamfered mullion window and
another C16 4-light window. South aisle east window of c1300,
of 3-lights with intersecting tracery. The chancel has a
steeply pitched roof. To the south, a double-chamfered priests
doorway of c1300, with hoodmould on head stops. Flanked by
2-light windows with Y-tracery. To the left again is a small
rectangular window with chamfered surround, set low down. The
east elevation has angle buttresses and a C19 east window of
five plain lancet lights. The north side of the chancel has one
2-light window with Y-tracery. Vestry with flat roof and plain
parapet and to the north a low broad window with Y-tracery.
Organ chamber to the right is taller and has a battlemented
parapet. 2-light window with Y-tracery. Battlemented north
aisle has to the east a small lancet set high up. To the north
are two windows with Y-tracery, renewed in the C19. Plain
pointed arched north doorway with a slight chamfer. Studded
plank door. Angle buttresses. Single trefoil-headed west
INTERIOR: Three-bay north arcade has circular piers
and abaci. Polygonal west respond and corbelled east respond.
Double-chamfered arches. Three-bay south arcade has quatrefoil
piers and abaci and semi-circular responds. Double-chamfered
arches. Tower arch with convex moulding and no capitals.
Double-chamfered chancel arch on polygonal responds. The north
aisle has a 3-light Perp east window, now within the building.
Clerestory now internal has two plain rectangular openings to
the north and three plain 2-light mullion windows to south. In
the south aisle are two low segment pointed tomb recesses, one
with a damaged effigy set in. In the south-east corner is a
sedilia, piscina and aumbry. Also an ex situ head corbel. In
the chancel a trefoil headed sedilia and piscina, Aumbry to
Monuments: Frences Every and Dame Vere Every c1690,
blank medallion with white frontal bust, the cheek propped up on
the hand. Monument to members of the Every family c1701, a
Tuscan Doric columned aedicule with achievement of arms above.
Several plain C17 tablets by Hall. In the south aisle are three
C18 slate headstones set into the wall. Tablet to Gertrude
Flower Every +1858, by Hall (south aisle).
Painted Royal Arms
over the chancel arch. Under the tower a C19 octagonal font.
Painted lozenge hatchments under the tower and in the south
aisle. Jacobean pulpit. Communion rail with turned balusters.
Painted altar piece with a copy of a painting by Murillo of the
Virgin and Child with the young St John the Baptist, 1833.
Stained glass: 2-light south window, c1888 by Cox & Buckley of
London. Considerable fragments of C13 and later glass re-set in
the east window.
Listing NGR: SK2675527849
Other nearby listed buildings