This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9956 / 50°59'44"N
Longitude: 0.1824 / 0°10'56"E
OS Eastings: 553242
OS Northings: 124070
OS Grid: TQ532240
Mapcode National: GBR MRD.JX2
Mapcode Global: FRA C68H.2VM
Entry Name: The New Inn
Listing Date: 12 January 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1334950
English Heritage Legacy ID: 486855
Location: Hadlow Down, Wealden, East Sussex, TN22
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Hadlow Down
Built-Up Area: Hadlow Down
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Buxted and Hadlow Down
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
The New Inn
Public house and former hotel. 1885. Built for the South Down & East Grinstead Brewery Co. Red brick with limestone dressings. Red clay-tiled roofs. Ridge and eaves stacks.
PLAN. Long public bar on right, parallel to the road. Small public room behind. Central entrance to hotel. Large function room/former restaurant on left.
EXTERIOR. Single storey room on left, 2 storeys right. Function room/former restaurant with 3-light mullioned window, the lower lights with segmental heads, the tracery lights being divided by mullions bearing baluster-like decoration. Half timbering in the gable over. Central entrance with etched glass in the door windows stating 'Hotel Entrance'. Fanlight over with central mullion also with baluster-like detail. Above a single-light window with details similar to the function room window. Half-timbering in the gable. Public bar with 2 2-light windows similar to others. Entrance under a projecting brick canopy with round-arched head. This rises to a crow-stepped gable with central pinnacle. Above the parapet embattled features breaking through the gambrel roof. On right-hand return two half-timbered gables.
INTERIOR. Public bar with elliptical arch resting on fluted console brackets halfway down the length of the room. Simple panelled counter front and timber counter top. Original shelving in the bar-back including a cash drawer. Sash-windowed hatch from servery to corridor. 2 simple fixed benches. Wood-block floor. Matchboard dado panelling. Further matchboard panelling round the rear public room, function room and the corridor. Ornate cast-iron fireplace in the corridor.
A rare example of a rural public house and hotel which retains its planform and fittings virtually intact.
Listing NGR: TQ5324224070
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings