This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1848 / 51°11'5"N
Longitude: -0.7054 / 0°42'19"W
OS Eastings: 490574
OS Northings: 143638
OS Grid: SU905436
Mapcode National: GBR DBM.NGN
Mapcode Global: VHDY9.QHF2
Entry Name: British Legion Clubhouse
Listing Date: 17 November 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1334959
English Heritage Legacy ID: 486866
Location: Elstead, Waverley, Surrey, GU8
Civil Parish: Elstead
Built-Up Area: Elstead
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Elstead
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 94 SW THURSLEY ROAD
525/5/10009 BRITISH LEGION CLUBHOUSE
Clubhouse, former farmhouse. Northeastern part late C16 house with parlour crosswing and C18 addition to rear. 1949 British Legion Hall addition to south west. Original part timberframed with some brick infill and some tilehanging with tiled roof and two brick chimneystacks. C18 part brick with tiled roof. Southeast elevation of original building is of two storeys two windows. C20 wooden casements with leaded lights. Parlour crosswing to right has gable with exposed timberframing with circa 1949 brick and tile infill. Ground floor underneath is rendered and has two triangular buttresses of stone and brick. Adjoining part of lower elevation has first floor tilehung, ground floor rendered and plank door flanked by two casement windows. Attached to left is 1949 one storey hall which has timberframing of thin scantling with red brick infill and steeply pitched tiled roof with large gablet. North east elevation has timberframed first floor with red brick infill and red brick ground floor. North west elevation has gable to left, the gable tilehung, below with exposed timberframing and painted brick infill. To the right the C16 timberframed range is now obscured by projecting C18 addition of two storeys in red brick with steeply pitched tiled roof and casement windows, one to first floor and three to ground floor, including one in central cambered headed former doorcase. Late C18 leanto addition to left and small late C20 addition to right. To extreme right is 1949 hall with identical elevation to front.
INTERIOR: Ground floor of C16 building has open fireplace with wooden bressumer and built-in seats and exposed floor joists with axial beams with two inch chamfers. C18 winder staircase. First floor central room has exposed tie beam and two plank doors. Rear room has C18 wooden firesurround and plank doors. 1949 hall has brick and tiled piers, timber beams with bolted knees and open fireplace with wooden bressumer.
Listing NGR: SU9057443638
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings