History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Peacock Hotel and Attached Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in South Wingfield, Derbyshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.099 / 53°5'56"N

Longitude: -1.4203 / 1°25'13"W

OS Eastings: 438913

OS Northings: 355910

OS Grid: SK389559

Mapcode National: GBR 6BT.MRS

Mapcode Global: WHDG2.4CYL

Entry Name: The Peacock Hotel and Attached Cottage

Listing Date: 25 September 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335342

English Heritage Legacy ID: 78736

Location: South Wingfield, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE55

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley

Civil Parish: South Wingfield

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: South Wingfield All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
South Wingfield

Listing Text

25-9-51 The Peacock Hotel and
attached cottage

Former coaching inn, now public house. Dated 1613 on pediment, but substantially
remodelled and enlarged in C18. Coursed rubble sandstone with ashlar dressings,
and some brick. Quoins, intermediate, end and sidewall brick stacks, some with
moulded caps. Plain gables, save for a C20 coping to the buttressed end to archway
range. Stone slated roofs. Irregular plan and elevations, consisting of a double
pile range, linked to an added set-back range to the south, with an 'L' plan cottage
to the north. Double pile range; south elevation: three storeys, two bays, with a
brick front and stacked windows, of 3-lights to the east of the door, and single
lights to the west, all with flush surrounds, painted; the 3-light openings to ground
and second floors retaining flush mullions. Ground floor single light opening has a
transom, the lower light serving the cellar stair. Central doorway with moulded
surround and C20 door. Arched recess to ground floor near junction of later range
and double pile range. Gable ends have sash windows with glazing bars, or fixed
lights in plain surrounds to ground and first floors, and a tripartite opening with
sashes flanking a central doorway with C19 former four panelled door, the upper part
now glazed. Main range set back from the double pile range. Two storeys, three bays,
with buttressed and rebuilt south gable. Carriage arch to south end, with chamfered
rustication to ashlar, and segmental arch with keyblock linked to band to arch head,
connecting cills to two first floor 3-light flush mullion windows and a single light
opening, all with casement frames. A further band course links the window heads,
above which is a moulded cornice. Above, a diminutive pediment, with a blind roundel-
bearing the date 1613. Ground floor has 3-light flush mullioned window with a cill
band, which links with the surround to a doorway at the angle of the two ranges. Six
panelled double doors, with square overlight incorporating circular pattern of glazing
bars. The buttressed south gable has a C20 coping, indicating the position of a
demolished portion of the building to the south. Attached cottage to north. 'L' plan
range with massive quoins, probably C17 but completely refashioned mid C18. South
gable has glazing bar sash window to ground floor, and the rear range has stacked
2-light flush mullioned windows to south wall.

Listing NGR: SK3891355910

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.