This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1336 / 53°8'1"N
Longitude: -1.3799 / 1°22'47"W
OS Eastings: 441586
OS Northings: 359787
OS Grid: SK415597
Mapcode National: GBR 7CS.KYD
Mapcode Global: WHDFW.SH3J
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 31 August 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1335453
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79427
Location: Shirland and Higham, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE55
District: North East Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Shirland and Higham
Built-Up Area: Stonebroom
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Stonebroom St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 45 NW PARISH OF SHIRLAND & HIGHAM HIGH STREET
5/39 (North Side)
CHURCH OF ST PETER, Stonebroom
Church. 1900, tower raised c191O, by Peter Currey of Currey and Thompson Partnership.
sandstone rubble and quoins. Gritstone and brick dressings. Concrete tile roof,
low eaved to nave, hipped to tower. Plinth to tower. Continuous sill bands to
nave elevations. Nave, narrower chancel, projecting square tower to south-east,
in corner between nave and chancel. Blind pointed brick arch to centre of west
elevation. Two lancets within, with stone quoins sides and brick arches. Between
a tapering stepped buttress. Above elliptical window. To either side of arch,
later tapering buttresses. North and south elevations with alternating twin and
triple lancets, similar to west windows, Either side of chancel, circular brick
windows. Dedication tablet to east end inscribed 'To the Glory of God this stone
was laid by Florence, widow of the late John Jackson of Stubbin Edge. July 7 1900'.
Above, east window of three lancets with sill band. To either side tapering,
stepped clasping buttresses. South-east tower with two lancets to south with
clock face over. Louvred dormers to all sides of tower roof. To west brick
arched south door with tapering buttresses either side. Interior:- all brick.
quasi hammerbeam nave roof. Barrel vaulted chancel. Open arcade of pointed arches
on north of chancel. Limestone rubble font on octagonal stem and four columns.
Wrought iron screen to chancel.
Listing NGR: SK4158659787
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings