This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.1284 / 55°7'42"N
Longitude: -2.8164 / 2°48'59"W
OS Eastings: 348039
OS Northings: 581860
OS Grid: NY480818
Mapcode National: GBR 89S4.1F
Mapcode Global: WH7YZ.QC1C
Entry Name: Stonegarthside Hall
Listing Date: 15 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1335605
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78164
Location: Nicholforest, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA6
Civil Parish: Nicholforest
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Nicholforest St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 48 SE NICHOLFOREST
3/82 Stonegarthside Hall
House, formerly tower house. Probably late C13 for Baldwin de Wake, with wings
dated 1682 on kneelers to right, for Henry Forster, incorporating earlier
features. Large mixed blocks of calciferous and gray sandstone on projecting
plinth stones with shaped quoins; reused medieval moulded stonework built into
C17 extensions is thought to be from the original entrance to the building; crow
stepped gables, ashlar chimney stacks (some of which are false), graduated Welsh
slate roof. 3 storeys, of numerous bays in Scottish Baronial style; buildings
on 3 sides enclosing a small courtyard, which was formerly part of the house
with its roof removed. Unifying courtyard wing of 2 storeys, 3 bays is probably
late C17. Former entrance has moulded architrave, pulvinated frieze and moulded
cornice; flanking blocked windows. Upper floor windows have moulded
architraves, now open and unglazed. Battlemented parapet with quatrefoil
openings and ball finials to pilaster strips at each end. Flanking gabled wings
of 1682 have sash windows with glazing bars in moulded stone architraves.
Similar windows to sides; rear windows have chamfered stone surrounds. Central
3 bays of rear are part of the original 4-storey tower; the only original
feature is the heart-shaped opening lighting the basement (a similarly shaped
stone is removed to an outhouse). Interior has broad medieval square staircase
for full 3 storeys and continued up to 4th storey; engaged newel posts have
semicircular insets with central fillet and pendants at top and bottom; worn
stone steps in 2 flights between floors; a rare and early survival. The size of
the staircase indicates a larger medieval building than the visible remains and
it is probable that there are further remains within the extensions. See;
Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian Archaeological Society, new
series, xxviii, pp389-392; lxi, pp169-201: ms by David Lockhart Smith (the
present owner), Stonegarthside Hall, 1980.
Listing NGR: NY4803981860
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings